JIMIN

Things were not quiet organised as they were when he was back home, thought Jimin. It had been a month since he had moved to Mumbai as a foreign exchange student in a well reputed college, for a brief period of 12 months. He was writing his research paper on the many different cultural aspects of Indian culture for his third year of Bachelor's degree.

His apartment was a two bedroom ambience located in a high rise building and even after a month, Jimin struggled fitting in. People were very kind to him and he made a lot of friends in college too. He knew the milkman bhaiya (brother/hyung), the newspaper bhaiya, he even had an auto wala bhaiya , who used to drive him to and fro from college. He learnt to bargain too, a lot, because he found out that people charged him more money because he was a foreigner. However with a new set of bargaining skills he had learnt from Mrs. Bhatia, his downstairs neighbour, he was sure he could put many locals to shame with his talent.

Another problem that Jimin had was his noisy next door neighbour, Jasmine. Jasmine partied every other day, had speakers that could blast the entire floor and was always banging on his door, asking for milk or beer or something.

It didn't irritate him so much as it bothered his flatmate, Mr Pranam Kumar, who had been living in the same apartment for ten years before he had passed away.

No, Jimin was not a ghost.

Yes, Mr. Pranam was a ghost.

Yes, Jimin could see ghosts.

Jimin always had the power to see ghosts since he was very young. The first spirit that he actually recognised was when he was five and his great grandfather died. While everyone was crying around his deathbed, Jimin tried to convince anyone that would listen that he wasn't dead, that he was sitting along with them.

By the time he was thirteen, he had interacted with so many ghosts, that he could recognize some of the locals that lived with him. Ghosts of certain areas never left there and when they did venture out, there would usually be a huge brawl between the ghost parties, who would challenge each other. This resulted in either a heavy storm or wind in the area and wasn't resolved until one of the group surrendered. It didn't end with death of course, ghosts were already dead after all, but it did end when one of the team would knock the other team to the ground.

At first when he moved to India, Jimin thought that he would not have to face anymore ghost. But he was sadly mistaken. The seat in the plane which he had boarded was occupied by a deceased spirit, who told him that he had died on the very plane, when he suddenly collapsed after having a heart attack. Jimin had to listen a long time for his story to end, about how he served his time in the military, how many kids he had, and his only wish to someday tell his wife that she made the worst omelette.

"I think those omelettes had actually given me the heart attack", he had said wistfully.

Jimin didn't know whether to sympathise or laugh.

"Is it that girl again", asked Mr. Kumar, a little irritated. He had left the apartment few days to go on a vacation to Goa, and also visit his family. After after knowing that they were happy, he had returned back. But when he heard the doorbell ring for the fifth time that day, he said all the peace that he felt was being snatched away.

"She must be needing something", observed Jimin.

He went towards the door and saw through the keyhole, where without a mistake, Jasmine was staring back at him with a small bowl in her hand.

"Jasmine?" he called. He didn't want to upset Mr. Kumar, because he could go on a rant about her all day and Jimin didn't want that again.

"Hello ji", said Jasmine from the other side of the door