Oh Look, It's Frankenstein's Ugly Twin Brother

If you were to ask Tani from about half a year ago, what she thought she'd be doing right now. She'd probably say something like "Going to school" or "Watching a movie with mum". You know, the simple things in life.

NOT BEING HELD BY A GIANT ZOMBIE, POSSESSED BY THE SHADOW OF HER PIRATE CAPTAIN. WHO WAS JUMPING OUT A BUILDING!

Tani couldn't even see where they were headed. His grip around her was enough to stop her from being able to squirm her way out, but not enough to pulverise her bones.

Oars landed with a ground shaking thunk. Tank felt the hand she was in, lift up higher. Dulled out light came into view as the large fingers uncurled around her tiny body. She held back her tongue as her eyes connected with those shiny dead ones.

It was a whole valley and a half of uncanny. She could recognize the Luffy in this all too wrong body.

"Pretty," Oars said with a slow voice. Tani blinked, pointing to herself. "Tani pretty," Oars repeated.

What the hell is going on? This can't be the Luffy part speaking, he's never called her pretty before... Wait? No there was that one time. On the way to Cricket's house? No... Wait yes that was it. He unintentionally called her pretty. That was an accident though, Luffy has never intentionally called her pretty before.

"Silly Tani, face going funny." Oars spoke, breaking her from her thoughts. Right, she had a giant zombie on her hands. Deep down there's a Luffy in there, and she knows how to control that aspect of him. A wide grin bloomed on her face.

Oars looked very happy to see his little Tani grin so wide.

She stood on her feet, her hands on her hips, chest puffed up. An air of confidence in her presentation. This had to work.

"Hello there Oars!" she waved, keeping herself as joyful as possible. Fake it till you make it, the fear was ever present, but Oars couldn't tell. "I heard you were a strong pirate," she said.

"Oars is pirate! I'm gonna be the king of the pirates!" he shouted to the world. Tani wouldn't be surprised if the whole island could hear him. Tani gave a big nod.

"That's right! And as the future pirate king. You need to find a powerful crew," she explained. Oars gave her a confused look. Ok so nakama collecting wasn't a part of his retained memories... So why was she? Never mind, don't over think an opportunity like this.

She had Moria's trump card in the palm of her hand... Or she was in the trump cards palm... Either way! She had some form of sway over Oars.

"Can I be your nakama? Let's find the one piece together," Tani beamed. Oars gave a grin, Tani had to stop herself from staring at the stitching on cheeks and lips.

"Tani, nakama," he nodded. Ok, good good. Tani turned to point at the large pool of ocean, it was about four Oars sized steps away.

"The one piece in that way, towards the ocean." Tani stated. Was he still cautious of water? Did his devil fruit still affect him if he didn't actually have the rubber powers?

Oars didn't hesitate to wander towards the water. He had complete faith in Tani, how could he not? Tani is nice and makes him happy, not like the mean pear man.

"Can you swim? I can swim," Tani asked Oars. A genuine kindness in her voice as she tried to present herself as anything but a threat.

She's watched enough movies to know that trope. Person A tries to pretend they're a friend, only to betray Person B. It doesn't work and Person B kills or severely hurts Person A. Oars wasn't bad, the Luffy in him made sure of that.