Chapter 15

Vikram got back home close to eleven in the night .

He had work to do before going to bed. He had planned of pulling a long night with his cup of coffee by the side, to get even with his targets. Wasting no time, he got to work.

He had finished half of the work by the time it was one in the night, surprisingly faster than his usual pace. The time he was relishing his pace his phone rang.

Frowning he picked it up to see his Mom's contact flashing.

" Hi mom, everything ok?"

" Yes, beta. I just felt like talking to you."

" Oh..what's up?"

" Nothing we are resting, thought should talk to our only son. He doesn't miss us, but we do."

Vikram's eyes hardened at her words and he hummed a response.

Hina, on the other hand, was agitated to think her son blowing off their worries like a piece of paper. Sighing she asked, " What were you doing?"

" I was working."

" I thought you could come over today, so had called Sneha. But she told me you were busy."

" I was.", frowning he added, " Are you hiding something?"

" No...why would I?", she heard no reply from the other side. Heaving a deep sigh she added, " I wanted to know your thoughts about Juhi."

" I have not thought anything as of now."

" You won't tell! Why do you do so? You have grown so distant from us, Vikram. I miss you." , her voice was angry yet there was no sorrow.

" Mom, I'll see what I can do... I have to work, bye!"

Vikram put the phone down and got back to work. He tried concentrating but couldn't. Flashes from the past, captivated his attention.

" Mom, when will you come back? I miss you guys."
" Vikram, you are good boy, you should not rely too much on us. We are busy.", his mother had rebuked him that day and many more days, until a day came when he grew distant.

She thought it was because of that day. But, no! He had grown distant to them long before that.

Closing his eyes, he groaned into the pillow. He tried calming himself by counting sheep and just when his count had crossed five hundred, did he drift into a dreamless, restless sleep.

Waking up, he was greeted by the empty kitchen. Groaning at his miserable decision of not having a cook at least for a Monday, he fetched the packet of oats from the overhead shelf and had a quick breakfast.

In the car, thoughts from previous morning poked his head, making him chuckle. He checked his phone to see no messages from Juhi. Shrugging it off as her tiredness, he carried on with his day.

Juhi on the other hand kept checking her phone, waiting for a message from Vikram. But he didn't.

Her father observed her pout and amusedly asked, " No call today? Must be busy."

' Was he not busy yesterday to talk in the morning, that he suddenly becomes busy.' Juhi frowned.

In no time, she was in her cubicle actually busy with her work. Every now and then she would check her phone and grumble about Vikram's carelessness.

She wanted to talk, "Why should she always call him. He should take the initiative this time" grumbling to herself, she chucked her phone to the side. Only to be picked up again in a while.