Chapter 2

Going to his parents' was always a task for Vikram. He was close to them in childhood but had grown distant with approaching adulthood. One of the many reasons why, he moved out and now lived in a condo in the midst of the hustle bustle of the city.

His father was a well known businessman dealing with handicrafts. While his mother, was the definition of an elite wife. She had joined various clubs as a pastime. She was actively managing the NGO ' Sparsh'. The NGO helped give livelihoods to homeless and less fortunate. Indirectly, her NGO provided a major workforce for his father's business.

While his parents were busy making a fortune. They were not always like this. The times had changed and so had he become indifferent to their role in his life.

"Sir, we have reached." The driver's voice halted the direction of his thoughts. Vikram nodded and headed inside the house.

There was a flurry of activity going on in the house, much to Vikram's surprise. He found the house in charge, Rekha aunty and asked ,
" Aunty, what is the occasion and where are mom and dad?"

Rekha was always close to Vikram, so seeing him after long, got to her. She caressed his head in a motherly fashion. Vikram allowed her that, after all she was the mother he always had. While, his was busy enough to not spend time with him, she was the one who gave him mother's affection.

Rekha said, " Sir and Madam are in the lawn, baba. As for the occasion, they will inform you about that."

"Thank you. " replied Vikram and moved in the direction of the lawn.

He found his parents lazing around the lawn, having their evening tea. He took his shoes and socks off, and ventured barefoot towards them.

The lawn was wet, having recently been watered. His attention drifted in the direction of the pink Roses he had planted while he stayed here. The Roses stood proud and merry. Vikram felt at peace looking at them, they were his piece of sanity.

His mother had enough of waiting for her son's pending arrival. He had stopped in front of those Roses.

She never understood his love for them. Ofcourse they were her favorite flowers but to fill an entire side of their huge garden with Roses was beyond her wits.

She had grown tired of exploring the reasons for his immense love towards the flowers and had begrudgingly agreed to pots upon pots of roses in her artistic garden. It didn't hurt how they made a beautiful addition to her garden. She called him, " Vikram, Vikram,"

Vikram was brought out of his trance and looked at his mom, " Come on soon, we are waiting for you."

Vikram took a glance at the roses and went ahead to greet his parents. They were in a jovial mood today. Vikram asked them, " You guys are doing good, right?"

They both happily nodded.

" Then why the late night call, mom?" , asked Vikram confusedly.

His mother chuckled and said, " Beta, we want to talk to you about something."

" Yes, what is it?"

" Vikram, you are 27 years old, established businessman. You have your own business and don't rely on us for anything. We are immensely proud of your success. But you are missing a very important part of your life. That's why we called you today. "

Vikram was preparing his mind for a blast. For he knew, his mother praising him, was sign of impending danger.

" Okay?"

His father smiled and patted his back saying, " Its time to get you married, my dear boy."

Vikram was stunned, he expected them to demand marriage but like this, out of the blue, this soon, was unexpected.

His father further continued, " We have invited a few guests. Actually, they are the family of your potential bride. They will be here for dinner tonight."

If Vikram's eyes could widen more than they already were, he would look like an alien. He had no idea, he walked into this trap, without even getting a hint of it.

He nodded and went back to gaze at his Roses, his sanity and solace. Those were the things, he required the most, tonight.