38 ~ Type

**Part 1 of double update**

Twenty missed calls from Scarlett.

Sighing, I gently open the front door with my sneakers in hand and creep inside. Checking my surroundings, I ever so quietly head upstairs. Saffron's room is quiet and I contemplate peeking in but think better of it. It's 2 in the morning. She needs beauty sleep to have a better day tomorrow.

With one last look around, I open my door and quickly inch it shut behind me.

"Nice of you to come home."

"Jesus Christ." I slam the door shut and turn to find Scarlett sitting on my bed in one of Ashton's old shirts and shorts. Placing a hand over my racing heart, I study her. Pursed lips. Furrowed eyebrows. Radiating anger.

Oh, yeah, she's mad.

"I-I was just about to text you." I offer, dropping my shoes to the ground. No point in being quiet now.

"Really?" She tilts her head. "How kind."

I gulp but say nothing and she uses the silence to stand up. This is going to be a wonderful conversation.

"I understand you're upset, Sage. It felt weird to me too."

"Then why didn't you say no?" I cut her off. There's no excuse she could possibly give me to make this okay in my mind.

"Because I saw the look on Saffron's face." She sighs. "It's okay to be upset, but it's also important to remember your actions hurt others."

"Touche." I lean against my wall and she sends me the look.

"Snapping at me hurts, but I get it." She plays with her ring. "However, you will not snap at Saffron like that again. You are her big brother. She should run to you for safety, not run from you."

I flinch involuntarily, ashamed to admit that's exactly what's happening. "You're right."

"Good." She smiles softly at me, but it turns into a stern look. "Next time you leave the house and refuse to acknowledge my calls or  inform me you're alive, there will be consequences."

"Like what?" I scoff. I'm 18.

"The car is in my name. The phone is in my name. This house is in my name." She states. "I love you, Sage and I don't ask much from you. Leaving in a rush and not telling me you're okay is one of the few things I have an issue with. As long as you live under my roof, you're going to follow my rules."

"You have my location." I cross my arms. "It's not a big deal so stop acting like it's the end of the world."

"It is!" She whisper shouts. "You are old enough to text me and communicate properly."

Communication isn't something she should lecture me on. To tired to continue this conversation, I yawn. "Got it. Goodnight."

Still upset and knowing I'm not listening, she holds her arms out and hugs me. "I love you. I'm happy you're home safe."

"I'm still upset." I hug her back.

"I know." She lets go. "See you in the morning."

*****

This week has been shitty.

Getting out of the car Thursday, I toss Sterling a skeptic look as he messes with his hair. "You look nice."

"You look pissed at the world." He counters, pulling his cross out of his shirt and fluffing his collar up. Wincing, I ignore his cheap shot and grab his shoulders. "Stop–"