2 ~ Frankenstein

School used to be my favorite place.

My friends and I would spend every break between class talking. Lunch was filled with childish arguments and food fights to pass the time. I would pick off Ella's lunch just because I knew she wouldn't finish it. My biggest goal was getting kids to laugh in class just because I could.

Life isn't like that anymore.

I trudge into Lit, offering Aunt Mel a nod as I force myself into the small desk right by hers. It's the only class I willingly sit in the front for. Being the teacher's favorite has its perks. I can sulk and she won't force me to talk.

She stands in front of us as the bell rings, fidgeting with engagement ring my uncle spent a small fortune on. "Frankenstein. We've been reading it, what can you tell me about it?"

No one says anything, sharing a paranoid glance at who'll be forced to talk. Something tells me half the kids didn't do the reading.

Being dyslexic means I often get stuck in the classes with the stupider kids. I didn't even think those types of classes could exist at a school like Riverview, but I get proven wrong every year.

Sighing, I decide to help my teacher out. "Frankenstein and his monster represent God and Adam."

"How so, Mister Rhodes?"

"He creates this monster, convinced he's doing something wonderful, but then he abandons it." I start. "All the monster wanted was love and affection, and his creator ruined him with hate and resentment."

"What else?"

"Once the monster has grown to despise his creator, the man feels like he must terminate it." Half the kids in this class don't understand a word I'm saying. "His entire life was ruined because he refused to take care of what was his."

She nods in approval, proud that I actually care about this class. Reading might suck but I love it.

"I disagree."

Mel blinks and it takes all my effort to not scowl as I turn to see who spoke.

"How so, Miss Hale?"

A girl I've never seen before shrugs, tucking a strand of black hair behind her ear to reveal a row of piercings. "The monster should've never been created to begin with. It's unnatural for man to play creator. By insinuating that Frankenstein is playing God, you're insinuating that mankind is a mistake."

"But isn't it?" I push. "Eve ate the apple, damning us all. God flooded the Earth because his creation was so wicked that he needed to clean the slate. He punished the Israelites into slavery and sent diseases to plague the Earth."

"Eve made the choice to eat the apple."

"Adam didn't stop her, some actually interpret it as man's ability to let women take the fall." I argue. "That's even more fitting. Both Frankenstein's wife and an innocent maid had to die while he survived."

She glares at me, "It would've made no difference if the creation was shown love or not. A monster is a monster, there's no getting around it."

"People can change." I offer bitterly.

"You think too highly of mankind if you believe that." She snaps.

She's literally a human being, what the hell could she have to argue that?

"Alright, thank you both for participating." Melissa clears her throat, forcing the class to forget about our spat. "Please write short responses for these questions, I'll be taking them up. And don't forget about your essay, the rough draft will be due soon."