12 ~ Steps

**MAKE SURE YOU READ CHAPTER 11**

For the first time in two months, I feel normal.

I wake up with my alarm, not before because sleep is evading me. I take my time to shower and get dressed, humming along to a song as I go. A song that isn't on my sad song playlist.

I've got a pep in my step and it doesn't falter when I find the two idiots loitering in my kitchen.

"Why are you here?" I demand, pulling out pancake mix.

"We slept here last night." Avery yawns, clearly wishing she was still sleeping.

"Feed us." Gabe orders me.

I pretend to think about it. "No."

"We pick your sorry ass up from the airport last night and this is the thanks you give us?" He feigns shock, playing on his phone. "Scarlett raised you to be better than that."

"I'm sure she'll approve." I roll my eyes, measuring out the batter. "Speaking of my sister, is she awake?"

"Yes." Avery groans. "Her stupid alarm woke me up, so I dragged her ass out of bed."

Laughing, I turn the skillet on. "Cousin love, it's a beautiful thing."

"Avery doesn't know what cousin love is." My sister says, entering the kitchen while tying her hair in a bun.

"You're right, I love Sage more." She offers, drinking coffee. "Especially since he's makes me pancakes."

Shaking my head, I make extra batter. I'm in a generous mood today. The kitchen grows quiet and I find them staring at me. "What?"

"Nothing." Scarlett says, almost in a trance.

"You just seem... different." Avery adds, her coffee cup raised halfway to her lips.

"Are you on drugs?" Gabe blurts out and they both slap him.

"I'm just having a good day." I inform them, flipping pancakes without a care in the world.

*****

"Good morning." I offer, handing Chloe two pancakes in a ziplock bag.

"Why do you keep feeding me?" She asks, snatching the bag from my hand.

"Be honored I'm thinking about you, Chlo-bear." I shrug.

She snorts, "Not the first time I've heard that. Although they definitely weren't thinking they way you are."

I shudder, absolutely not. "We're food buddies not fuck buddies."

"I'm a fan, Gigantor, you're my first." She winks, knowing how uncomfortable she's making me.

As she gets her stuff, I watch the kids hurrying down the hall. The chaos intrigues me, I think I've forgotten how much actually goes on in the halls. It's crazy to imagine I used to be one of those crazy idiots causing a scene.

"Hey, Chlo-oh." Graham stops himself, glancing up at me and quickly to the ground. "I'll come back."

He walks off and I run after him, officially becoming one of those idiots causing a scene again. "What's it gonna take for you to talk to me?"

Because I'm growing tired of our daily routine of him running away from me.

"Be a part of Coming Home court." He says without hesitation.

"No."

"Okay, same time tomorrow?" He asks, turning to go.

"Wait." What a little shit. "What would I have to do?"