3 ~ Carrots

I wonder if there was a time I ever enjoyed carrots.

It sounds ridiculous to wonder, but I only ever ate them because Ella was obsessed. What if that's just another thing I'm following others on?

Glancing around the kitchen, I know I have less than two minutes before one of my siblings enters the room. Shoving the baby carrot in my mouth, I'm almost disappointed to learn I still like them.

Figures.

"What are you eating?" Scarlett asks, putting on her belt as she enters the kitchen.

"Nothing." I force myself to swallow, the carrot slicing at my insides. The pain doesn't have much of an effect on me anymore.

Eyeing me suspiciously, she freezes when she takes in the packed lunches. "Did you do this?"

"Yeah." If I can't sleep, I might as well be useful.

She hugs me, "Thank you, this makes my morning a little easier."

I'm glad someone can be happy.

*****

The halls are nothing more than a blur of people. Shoving my air pods in, their shouts and laughs fade into the background.

Sometimes I wish I could just teleport to class. Miss this aggravating part of the day all together.

Just when I think I'll be saved by the confines of Melissa's classroom, a hand taps my shoulder.

Pulling one air pod out, I turn to find no-one standing there. I get that I haven't had any sleep but if I'm hallucinating, I'll freak out.

"Look a little lower."

Cautiously, I glance down to find Graham Edwards staring up at me, pushing his glasses back up his nose. What could our student body president want with me? "Sorry."

"It's fine, I wanted to talk to you about something." He says, struggling to keep up with me as I walk because I don't feel like talking.

Apparently, he takes my silence as an open invitation to keep rambling.

"Every year, student council does Coming Home, which is like Homecoming but with a guy court." He explains. "The objective is to raise money to grant a Make-A-Wish. Last year Ashton was a part of it, and he raised tons of money."

"Yes, I'm aware of what it is." I state, itching to put my air pod back in. Ashton didn't just do it, he was Coming Home King.

This is the most I've talked to someone that isn't the twins at school in two weeks.

He blushes, uncomfortably taking a step back. "W... would you be willing to be a part of it this year?"

"No."

And with that I go to play my music again.

"Why?" he jumps in front of me, yanking my arm down.

Did I not say no? "Because I'm not interested. It's as simple as that."

"But–"

"Stop." I shake his arm off. "I'm not interested in any of your shit."

Graham jumps back, hitting a locker, and I storm into class. What is so hard with leaving someone alone?

"Are you okay?" Someone asks from the hall.

"I'm fine, Chlo, just got reminded why Rhodes has no friends."

Stopping, I turn around to give him a piece of my mind. I'm a nice person who just wants to be left alone. I get it, I'm unlovable but that doesn't make me a horrible person.