35 ~ Visit

Staring at my phone, the voicemail notification taunts me.

I know I should listen to it but at the same time, I don't want to. Listening to it means I have to acknowledge what it means. Doing that means I have to do something about it.

"I bring gummy worms." Chloe offers, plopping down on my couch. "What's that?"

"Nothing." I snatch my phone from the cushion. Raising a brow, she holds the candy back. Rude. "Fine. It's a voicemail."

"From who?" She asks, opening the bag.

"The Alabama Baseball recruiter."

"Why did he call?" She picks through the bag.

"Actually, I called him first. This is him returning it." I admit, pulling at my hoodie.

"Then listen to it." She orders, eating one. "These are really good."

Chewing on my lip, I press play.

"Hi, Sage, this is Frank Stevens calling you back. Don't worry about it being too late. We'd love to have you come down for a visit as soon as this upcoming weekend. Give me a call back."

"That... wasn't as bad as I thought it would be." I admit, sitting back.

"I'd say that went rather well."

"What do I do now?" I freakout. Do I call him immediately? Do I wait? I don't want to sound desperate or rude. I should wait for Scarlett to get home. She doesn't need to be bothered with this stuff right now.

An injured Ashton is more than enough on her plate. He gets moody.

"You go if you want to." She says.

"I do?" I guess I do.

"Yes, Gigantor." She laughs.

"I-I guess I just haven't let myself think that far ahead. I was expecting rejection." I admit.

"No one's going to reject you." She assures me.

"You don't know that." I mutter and she sits up.

"We're not doing this." She orders. "Hand me your phone."

"What?" I wonder and she feels around my pockets. I'm getting mixed signals here. Pulling her hand back, she types in my password. "What are you doing?"

"Making a list." She states, opening my notes app. "Tell me the schools you like."

I blink in disbelief. "You want to help me pick a college?"

"Yes."

"Even though it's reminding you we won't be together?" I clarify. This entire activity is basically a big reminder our relationship will be over depending on where I pick to go.

"That doesn't matter." She kisses me. "Now give me names before I start guessing."

Wow. This is new.

Fifteen minutes later, I have a list of 12 schools. Some I like more than others, but they're all here. "This is it."

"Good job." She offers the bag of candy before helping herself. "Now you can have some."

"I think I want this one." I lean in, taking the gummy worm from between her lips.

"I don't share." She snips, biting it in half.

"With me you do." I grin, shoving a handful into my mouth.

"Sometimes I wonder why." She offers dryly.