37 ~ Bull Shit

Monday mornings are rough.

Dragging myself out of bed, I try to blink the sleep out of my eyes. A skip day is definitely sounding perfect right about now. I'm three seconds from crawling up to Scarlett's room and begging her to let me stay home when my phone dings.

Chlo-bear
Morning

Well, that's a good reason to go to school. Groaning, I force myself into clean clothes and head downstairs and straight to the coffee pot.

"Morning, Losers." Saffron offers and Scarlett scoffs, cracking eggs into a bowl.

"Saffron." She warns, blowing a strand of hair out of her eyes.

"What," our sister holds her hands up, "I said good morning."

Scarlett looks at her for a long moment before taking a deep breath. Too tired to care about her attitude. "Good morning, Saff."

"Now braid my hair." She says. "And make it pretty. Last time my hair fell out and it was ugly."

"Please." Scarlett corrects her.

Muttering under her breath, Saffron grabs a mug from the counter and turns to me. "Pour me some."

"Absolutely not." Scarlett says and I nod in agreement. Now is not the time for me to open my fat mouth.

"I want coffee." Saffron states. Yeah, that's not happening.

"And I want you to stop this." Scarlett counters.

"That's not fair." She stomps her foot.

"How you're treating me isn't fair." Scarlett rubs her face. "Give me a second to finish my breakfast and I'll do your hair, but no coffee."

"That's bullshit." Saffron mutters and the twins audibly gasp.

Taking a deep breath, our older sister grips the spatula so tight her knuckles turn white. "Excuse me?"

"Nothing." Saffron stands her ground.

"Saffron Valley, you are not old enough to talk like that." She says slowly, rage practically steaming from her ears.

"You're not old enough to tell me what to do."

"Yes, I am."

"She really is." The twins state in disbelief.

"You're just pushovers." Saffron snaps at them before turning to me. "Can we go now?"

I avoid eye contact and drink my coffee. Don't say a fucking word, Sage.

"No, you can take a moment to calm down." Scarlett orders.

"Or what?" Saffron raises a brow and my own shoots up in surprise.

Scarlett hesitates, we've never gotten this far before. Usually Saffron gives in by now.

"Or... or no karate." She says and nods confidently.

"You pay for karate."

"Good thing I can afford to waste a class." Scarlett shrugs, holding Saffron's lunch box out. "Now go to school."

"Ashton wouldn't treat me like this!" Saffron shouts as she throws the door open and walks out.

We watch her go, unsure of what to do or say.

"Did that just happen?" I finally ask once the little terror is out of ear shot.

"Yup." The twins offer.

"It's only Monday, right?"

"Yup."

Sweet Jesus, it's gonna be a long week.