24 ~ Garlic

Today is the day.

I, Sage Forest Rhodes, an 18-year-old boy with limited girl experience, am going on a date. Hold the applause, folks, because I'm sure I'll screw it up somehow. But I get an A for effort.

Checking myself in the mirror, I flatten out my polaroid embroidered button up. I'll change before the date tonight. I just feel like I should look good. It will limit the chances of her changing her mind.

Wandering down to the kitchen, I find my older sister drinking coffee. "Say cheese." I snap a pic as she freezes. "Ashton is going to love this."

"Send it and I'll kill you." She warns, taking a sip.

"Thanks, but I have plans tonight." I pop a waffle into the toaster. Death is not allowed.

"Oh, you do now?"

Never mind, death might be a good idea. "Did–Did I not tell you?"

"No, not that I can recall." Grinning, my sister hops on the counter. "Tell me, brother, what are your plans?"

"Well, you see...." I gnaw on my lip. Just rip the band-aid off. "I have a date."

The look on her face would be comical if we weren't talking about my dating life. "Come again?"

Really? "I have a date tonight."

"A date?" She tests the word. "Like pick a girl up, take her out to dinner, all that nice stuff." Well, I've only dated one girl, but I believe that's how it goes.

"Yeah, um, I just figured it was time I start trying to enjoy high school. Wes hooked me up with a girl that's not crazy, so I figured why not." Scarlett blinks and I panic. "Never mind, it's stupid."

"No!" She keeps me in place. "It's sudden but not stupid. Do I know her? Where are you taking her?"

"It's Freya Block and I'm thinking Olive Garden." Who doesn't love breadsticks? Her smiles falls, oh-no. "What's that face for?"

"Nothing." She assures me. "I was just expecting someone else."

"Like who?" I'm starting with a shiny clean slate.

"Never mind. So, a date?"

"It's just casual." I say, trying to pop my food out before she asks anything else.

She clears her throat. "Are you going to be doing other casual things?"

"Jesus, Scarlett." We are not discussing sex. I get it. She's like my mom and stuff. We share secrets. We gossip. I love my relationship with my sister. However, there is no way in hell, we are discussing this. "Can we not do this?"

I'd much rather throw myself in front of a moving bus and I'm scared of death. Ask my therapist.

Just when I think I'm in the clear, she sets her mug down. "Well, be a gentleman and all that important shit." She makes a run for the door before looking back. "There are condoms in my nightstand."

I throw my waffle at her. "Scarlett!"

I didn't need to know that. It's hard to accept the fact my best friend sleeps with my sister. I do not need to be offered their protection.

Staring at my ruined breakfast, I contemplate running away from home. Why can't my family be normal?

*****

Sitting down at our lunch table, I tear into my food. Left over pizza makes a good Friday even better. Before I can enjoy it, Graham taps my shoulder.