4 ~ Plan

Maybe I should've lied and told Scar I got Saffron's stomach bug.

It would be better than sitting in Lit while Chloe Hale glares daggers into my back as we write a timed essay. If I thought it was rough being dyslexic and writing, being dyslexic and writing while fighting the urge to flip off the person I can't stand is even harder. However, I can't afford to piss my sister off when she's had no sleep in over 24 hours.

That would be me signing my own death certificate.

Instead I just force myself to write and ignore my newest pain in the ass.

The minutes feel like hours but eventually lunch arrives, and I manage to make my way to the cafeteria just for my mood to tank even lower. There's no one at our table.

Sage
Where are you guys?

Silv
Getting tutored in Geometry so Scar doesn't have a reason to kill me.

Smart choice.

Sterlz
Robotics club, the president asked if I was interested in joining their competition team

Sage
Good, I'm proud of you both

Sitting at the table for a minute in the hopes of Conner and Sam coming, I get another text that saves me from feeling like a complete loser.

Sterlz
Sam had a doctors appointment and Conner is taking a test, do you want to join me?

Sage
I forgot I had to work on my essay with Mel, thanks tho

Sighing, I stand to my feet, already playing my music at full blast. Halfway to the exit, a hand taps my shoulder. Prepared to tell Graham to screw off again, I find Zayne smiling.

"Sup, man?" I ask, trying to think of anything he could be wanting to ask.

Practice times are sent out every week, and I have no new news for the team.

"Do you want to sit with us?" He asks, somehow managing to make me feel better and worse at the same time.

I've never had to eat alone before. Then again, I've also never not had friends in school. His invitation is nice, we've honestly never talked much outside of football, but then I catch sight of the table he sits at. Wes smirks at me, an eat shit gleam in his eye as Chloe reads next to him.

"Thanks for the offer, but I'm gonna go get some essay help." I explain, knowing he was genuine about the invite.

"Are you su–" His voice dies out when he remembers who he eats with. "Not a fan of the company?"

I snort, "There's a thing or two I'd like to tell a few of them."

"That's fine, I can sit with you." He shrugs.

"Nah, man, I have work." I wave him off, as I silence out the world with music once more.

The halls are silent, and maybe it's because I've already listened to my depressing ass playlist four times through or the fact I need a break, but I listen to the quiet. It feels like a break from the chaos. The static in my mind stopping for me to take this in.

Stopping outside of Melissa's door, I hear voices.

"John, we're almost done."

"I don't want to jinx anything, Mel." My uncle's voice echoes down the hall.

"I know, but still... we should say something."

"I'm not getting others hopes up."

"Others or your own?" She counters and that's when I realize he's actually in the room and not calling her.