23

Saffron

It was safe to say the week did not fly by.

It dragged.

And dragged.

Slower than a fucking snail.

Zach and Taylor did try their best to make it fun. One night we saw the sunset, another we had a movie evening, and another Zach and I took his dog for a walk round the lake.

Sure, I had plenty of homework and classwork. Yes, I'd visited Alec, and played with him a bit. But none of that could distract me for what was coming on Sunday. Nothing.

Not one single thing would stop me thinking about getting to hug Esme again. The one other person who'd been stable in my life.

"Make sure your room is tidy for tomorrow," Calum said, "She'll probably be very tired,"

"Good. I get to cuddle her then,"

"She's getting in around 6am. Would you like me to wake you up to come with me and get her?"

"Yes please. We can both sleep together after,"

"Good plan. All of us already planned to have this week off months ago, and on Sunday night Ash and I are going out and staying at Michael's house. You two can have some alone time,"

"Thankyou, so much,"

"Of course. Michael gave me a lower dosage of medicine for you sleep to start getting you back to normal. Still take it around the same time so you have a routine,"

I took it from him and put it on my bedside table, then began to tidy up my room. Not that Esme would care in the slightest, but it was nice to do a bit of cleaning anyway.

"Zach and Taylor are on their way up!" he called, "Do you have plans?"

"No, but I'm sure they do,"

The front door opened and I heard them coming upstairs, both of them knocking on my door; I swung it open and grinned, giving them both tight hugs.

"After we heard the news at the start of this week we needed to make sure you were set for this next week. Snacks. Face masks. Movies,"

"You guys really did this?"

"Well maybe it was our parents money because they felt bad about not having you over yet, but yes,"

"Thankyou, so much. We will meet in the week, you have to meet her,"

"Let us know when. Wanna watch the sunset?"

"Not tonight... sorry. We are leaving early and I'm quite tired,"

"Fairs. Have a good week, you both deserve it," Zach said, "See you later,"

And just like that, they left again.

Placing the bag in the corner of my room, I laid down on my bed and watched some netflix on my own. Alone time hadn't exactly been a thing since I'd moved here, and if it was, it wasn't to relax. It was to mourn and fall apart.

Not so much anymore.

Since she was on her very long flight, I hadn't heard from Esme in a while, but I hoped she was okay. The flight made me anxious, but once she was on the ground I'd be relieved.

All I wanted to do was hold her close to my body and feel her chest rise and fall.

Not long.

I showered and brushed my teeth, then joined Calum in his room for a bit to chill. His tv was on in the background and I was fidgeting around on my phone.