5

Saffron

"Mum, please be okay, please be okay,"

Cold. Stiff. Silent.

"Mum! Wake up! Wake up! Please,"

I held her tightly, and she began to move, slowly sitting up.

"Saffron,"

"Mum, you're okay, you're okay,"

"Saffron, look behind you,"

I turned around to the window, watching it slide open by itself before a cloaked figure floated through.

"I'm here for Mikayla,"

"No! Take me, take me instead,"

As if she was in a trance, mum rose, but I grabbed her arm to pull her towards me.

"Mum," I sobbed, "Please,"

"Let go,"

"No!"

"Let go!"

The cloaked figure grabbed my throat and I let go of mum, trying to pry their hands off me instead. As my breathing slowly became shallowed, I watched her go under the cloak and disappear.

"Mum!"

I let out a blood curdling scream and sat up, scream after scream escaping. My throat felt tight so I clutched it, the image replaying in my head which only resulted in more screams.

Calum switched my light on and sat beside me, Ashton following before throwing a heavy blanket around my shoulders; I pressed my head into Calum's chest but I couldn't stop sobbing and whimpering.

"My throat, my throat,"

Ashton took my hand away from my throat and held it, interlocking our fingers, while Calum held my head to his chest and breathed slowly.

"You're here, in Australia, with Calum Hood and Ashton Irwin, in our flat, and our friends Michael Clifford and Luke Hemmings live not too far away. It's winter here, but our flat is warm, and locked up to keep the cool out. We are here, supporting you,"

"They took mum away,"

"Who?"

"The grim reaper, she was dead, then she came back to life, and I tried to stop her and I got choked, and she went, and I couldn't save her, and-and-and,"

I let out another wave of sobs as I pictured it again.

"That didn't happen, I promise," Ashton said, "The paramedics are the only ones who moved her body,"

"Okay," I said, my breathing fast and shallow, "And me,"

"Yes, that's all," he soothed, "It will be okay,"

I looked up to Calum and saw that his eyes were raw and red, but not wet, so he must've cried before coming in here. He placed a kiss on my head and laid me back down, keeping the weighted blanket over my body.

"Do you want Ashton to stay?"

"Why not you?"

It only took one look for me to figure out he'd actually not slept at all, and obviously needed his own bed, so I just nodded and let him tuck me in besides Ashton. Though he stayed on the other side of the bed, I knew it would be okay if something happened. He was tall, and looked strong.