|| 59.

King

Silence threatened to choke us, we waited, hearts pounding with fear written all over our faces as the doctor examined Uti. I took her hand between mine, caressing her knuckles with my thumb. He adjusted his stethoscope and I shared a look with Tomiwa. The others were beside him, leaning on the door like they needed the support. I needed support too from all of these. Why did she leave the house? Most importantly, how did she leave without the tracker detecting her movement.

A sigh from the doctor's direction snapped my head back to him. He smiled. "She's fine."

My breath lodged in my throat, relief stopped me from speaking and I nodded. Someone's hand descended on my shoulder, I looked up to see Uche with a small smile plastered on his lips. They took turns patting my back in silent support, I shut my eyes with a sigh and the doctor laughed. He would not understand.

The equipment he came with disappeared into his briefcase, I pulled the duvet up to Uti's chin and pecked her forehead. She muffled something in her sleep and a smile tugged at my lips. This woman would be the death of me. Tracing her collarbone, a cough from behind caused me to raise my head to the doctor standing a foot away from me. 

"I think your wife is pregnant but she has to come to the hospital to confirm," he said, tucking the briefcase under his armpit. 

The room grew graveyard silent. The guys shared looks. I forgot I was supposed to reply him and simply stared. His lips moved but I couldn't make out his words. I could see him. His shining scalp with thick black hair covering his jaw but I heard nothing. Then it started, the bizarre rhythm of my heart. The gallop and pounding coming from my chest.

Uti was pregnant. It wasn't confirmed yet a smile spread to my lips. Baby mama could be pregnant! We would have another baby.

"Thanks doc, we will come for a test," I told him in a voice that sounded strange. He waved us off and left. Tomiwa, Uche and Junior took a seat on the couch. Junior ran his fingers through his hair, Tomiwa and Uche put up a blank expression I didn't care to decipher. I had more important things to worry about. Wifey could be pregnant for mini-me. A chuckle slipped from me. A baby.

"If it turns out she's pregnant, what next?"

It was Tomiwa who voiced the question, I bit back a retort and shrugged. Ever the most logical one. If it turned out to be true, we would do what all normal family expecting a baby would do. We would be happy. I placed a hand on Uti's stomach, it was too flat.

Would our baby survive in there? What if the baby suffocated inside that tiny place? I shot to my feet, Uti had been skipping meals and I didn't want to force her. I should have. What if the baby already died from starvation?

I pinched the bridge of my nose, my shoulders trembled. We couldn't lose another baby, I would not survive this. Casting a wary look at Uti, I positioned my ear on her stomach and waited for a sound to show the baby was for real. Anything. How did this even work? At what point would the baby move?

"King."

"King!"

"Yes," I snapped. My eyes narrowed at Uche, he frowned but kept mute. I threw my hands up in frustration, he should speak now or forever hold his peace. "What? What is it?"

His mouth opened, his gaze lowered to the bed and he straightened up on the couch. I followed his gaze to Uti, she was awake.

Warmth spread through my chest at the grey eyes brewing with confusion, I helped her into a sitting position and the air thickened with awkwardness. She ducked when my head dipped to claim her mouth in a kiss. I settled for a peck and murmured a reply to the guys as they filed out of the room after muttering barely audible greetings to Uti.