|| 49.

King

My feet refused to register the cold floor as I paced the length and breadth of the kitchen with my phone in hand. I ran my fingers through my hair, my annoyance rising with each passing second. Where the fuck was Junior and the kids? They should be done by now. Feeling the inside of my pocket, a small smile took over my lips at the contact of my palm against the surface of the box.

Three customised rings sat inside the box. Three. For Uti, Emma and Esther. Every one of them was getting a ring. I dialled Junior's number one more time only to receive the same reply. My frustrations heightened, I shoved the phone into my pocket, gripped the edge of the kitchen island to the point of breaking a nail. My eyes closed briefly, I let out a deep breath, shaking my head to suppress any ill thoughts. If I found out he was safe and sound, I would have his head.

How hard could it be for him to pick up his phone and let me in on their location? Did he get so carried away by Faith? I groaned, trying to keep my growing anger in check. Uti could not see me in this state.

"King."

"Yes baby," I replied and pushed myself from the island, a smile playing on my lips.

Uti met me when I was halfway across the kitchen. "I'm not a baby, I'm an adult."

She pouted and I stretched out my hand to her but she refused to take it. I chuckled, closing the distance between us to wrap one of my arms around her waist. Her fingers splayed on my chest teased my nipples and my heart quickened at the feel of her warm palm on my skin. I caressed her scalp, she sucked on her bottom lip. Her gaze came to rest on my face and her eyes lighted up.

The fire that had been in those eyes when she stormed into the kitchen had abated, replaced by the look of admiration that was always present whenever we were together. She loved me, they all did. Even a blind man could see it. I shook my head and reciprocated her smile. I had no idea how I got this lucky to have her and the kids; a new family but I was thankful for the divine powers that saw to it, to my happiness.

"Okay, adult," I murmured and brought her fingertips to my lips. "You look amazing."

Her eyes lowered to my chest, then came back to my face, she giggled and I chuckled. Asides from spoiling her and the kids with gifts, I intended to compliment her every chance I got. It was the easiest thing to do, every action she took was worth the praise.

I have no idea what kind of men she was with in the past but it was easy to see they starved her of attention, compliments and gifts. My intention was to make up for it and my years of being a White Hat Playboy was starting to pay off. Perhaps, those years spent with other women were training me for my future with her. Yes, that was it.

In truth, Uti still had troubles asking me to do stuff for her but my experiences with women and observation made it easy to pick up on the signs of distress when it came to that. I loved hearing her protests, our debates before she would sigh in defeat and accept my gifts always made my day.

"Where are we going?" she asked.

My hands hovered above her butt, they were as soft as a batch of bread that just left the oven, I could touch them every day. I squeezed them and a moan escaped her.

"Out," I murmured into her ear.

Uti took a step away from me and I pouted, I was already missing the feel of her body in my arms. She frowned, crossed her arms under her breasts and my eyes followed the movement. The first few buttons of her shirt were undone, revealing a generous amount of her cleavage. I loved the view they offered but she would have to button up on our way out, I was the only one allowed the luxury of viewing them without restrictions.