Chapter Thirty-Nine

Kai's lungs were screaming at him, but he couldn't expand his chest due to the shock and confusion and terror and pity for Shintaro. How could Darkness itself have children? How was that biologically possible? Why had Shintaro not mentioned it? How terrible a childhood had Shintaro had? How could he have lived with his father, who had been trapped in the Abyss? Shintaro couldn't have lived there as a child, right?

"Wh-What?" Chase stammered, lifting his eyes to the tall man that was grinning at him coldly. "You're... How can you... You're our grandfather?" His voice was shaking and quiet, softer than Kai had ever heard from his friend. His hands were clenched into tight fists, his skin pale in shock. 

"How is that even possible?" Falte asked frantically, rising to his feet with an air of furious and confused curiosity. "You're not even a human being, are you?" He looked The Dark Lord up and down, frowning but hanging back. 

The Dark Lord, who had turned his head to look at Kai's father, shrugged his right shoulder indifferently. "I know not the science behind it, so do not ask me." He turned back to Chase with a small grin. "You didn't hear me wrong, young man. I am your grandfather, Shintaro and Cami's father." 

Abby, Chase, and Shintaro all flinched at the second name, one that Kai recognized. He racked his brain and remembered briefly that Abby had spoken of their uncle, Cami, the one who had died years ago. 

"Oh," The Dark Lord said suddenly, perking up suddenly as if he'd just remembered something. "Shintaro, I have a question for you. You'll have to answer me honestly, because if you don't, I won't be very happy." He turned toward Shintaro and leaned forward to force Shintaro to meet his eyes. "Tell me, boy, have you heard of or possibly even seen a man who goes by the name of Ozai?" 

Shintaro clenched his jaw, his yellow eyes narrowing in terrified anger. "No," he snapped shortly. 

"Watch your tone, Shintaro," The Dark Lord said in a warning tone. "You're lucky I'm in a good mood." He straightened away from Shintaro and glanced around at the watching audience. "Have any of you heard of him?" 

Everyone shook their heads simultaneously, and when they did this, Kai noticed that three of his friends weren't outside. Linda, Gabriel, and Amy were nowhere to be be seen. Where were they? Had they stayed inside? 

No, Kai thought. They probably couldn't have anyway. The burst of Darkness had nearly destroyed Zeke's home. The house was crumbling slowly. None of them are cowardly. Linda especially. She would come out and fight if it meant her life. As soon as Kai thought that, he wanted to take it back. He didn't want her to do such a thing. 

"Hmm," The Dark Lord said impatiently, sighing through his nose. He turned in a slow circle and rolled his shoulders, as if just realizing that he had a body to move around in. He trained his eyes on each one of Kai's friends for a moment, assessing them carefully. Finally, his eyes locked on Abby, and he moved toward her. 

This was enough to get Kai's adrenaline going. He lunged forward and caught The Dark Lord's wrist with his right hand, planting his feet firmly below him, though he wanted to run away so The Dark Lord wouldn't hurt him. 

This guy had to be giving off some kind of fear spell. 

The Dark Lord made a soft sound of surprise, turning his head to look over his shoulder down at Kai. He raised one eyebrow with a small, sly smile. "Well, look at this," he chirped approvingly. "Someone has the courage to stand in my way." 

"Actually," Chase's voice said from behind Kai, then his friend came into view and stood directly in front of The Dark Lord with his arms spread protectively. Light Magic sparked at his fingertips threateningly.  "He's behind you. I'm the one standing in your way. Leave them both alone."