Chapter Thirty-Three

Kai's heart was pounding so hard he thought his chest would explode before Moon could even get to him. He didn't know whether or not he would have preferred that over death by Moon's hand.

"We're not going to die," Linda said sharply, out loud, to everyone, facing them. Her hands were clenched at her sides, and she was frowning so hard that Kai figured she wasn't scared at all. But the trembling of her clenched fists betrayed that she was actually nervous about the battle to come. 

"We're not," she repeated, her tone softer. She trailed her eyes along all of them, meeting each set of eyes and taking a deep breath. "We're going to defeat her and our world is going to remain untouched. We will win." 

"Don't be shy, little puppets," Moon's voice crooned from outside. "Please, join me. I am very eager to see you all again, especially the man who decided to steal from me." Her voice dropped into a deadly tone, and Kai noticed Zeke square his shoulders nervously. 

Kai's hands were shaking so hard that he was nervous he wouldn't be able to fight, but Abby reached over and clutched his right hand, reassuring him as much as she could. Her hands were trembling as well, and he squeezed gently. 

Chase locked eyes with Linda for a moment, and Kai realized she was speaking to him in his mind. He didn't know what they were talking about, but he figured it had something to do with what they were going to do next. 

"Chase, don't be stupid," Linda said out loud, jabbing her finger into his chest. "That's an idiot idea. What will we do while you're stupidly being a distraction?" 

"Destroy it," Chase said in a flat tone, gesturing to her pocket. "You all will stay in here and destory it, break it to pieces and if you have to, flush it down the toilet." 

Zeke gave Chase a confused frown, but thankfully didn't object. He crossed his arms over his chest, hiding his hands under his arms and frowning harshly at the door. 

"Chase..." Abby started, and he turned toward her with a frown. 

"No, Abby," he interrupted her. "Really, what else can we do? Moon will stop at nothing to get to that key. Stay in here while I distract her and help Dad. Destory it while you still can. Please," he added in a broken voice, turning towards Linda again. "Please, guys. This is the only chance we have. We can't let her have it." 

"You'll definitely need back-up, kid," Ezekiel piped up roughly. "You seem like a good fighter, but this woman seems to know what she's doing." 

"No," Linda said, turning toward him. "We hardly know you. We can't risk your life." 

"What if I'm offering?" Zeke spat back. 

"What if you already said you don't want anything to do with Darks?" Linda relaliated, putting her fists on her hips. 

"I'm helping you as much as I can," Zeke retorted. "You've already brought her here. I might as well join you." 

"Zeke, I can't ask you to do this," Linda said in a softer tone.

"You're not asking me," Zeke said with an indifferent shrug. "I'm the one volunteering. She seems dangerous. Let's just say you all convinced me. I want to fight for what I know." 

Linda didn't reply, but Kai could tell she was secretly grateful for Ezekiel's help. He'd singlehandedly taken down Kai (that wasn't saying too much, but Kai was a Dark, so he could have fought back.), which seemed like enough proof to show that he was a good match. 

Chase took a long, deep breath and turned toward the door. He spread his legs and touched the doorknob with his right hand. His white hair slipped from behind his ears and framed his face, shielding his expression from Kai.