Chapter Twenty-Four

Amy's energy was the only thing keeping Kai's spirits aloft. She was bounding around, bouncing ahead and conversing with Linda for a little while, then skipping backward and coming up to the teenagers in the back, talking happily with them. She had her utility belt strapped around her camo-khaki pants and a worn out white undershirt tucked under the belt. Kai didn't really want to know what was in the pouches of her belt, but he was too busy listening to her happy voice as she rambled on about something Kai didn't really understand. Even Gabriel was smiling at Amy's silliness, while Abby was having heartfelt conversations with her. Kai was happy she had tagged along, otherwise he probably would be angry at nothing at the moment. 

His whole body was hurting, worst of all his foot, and he was tired, mentally and physically. 

But Amy was someone who lifted everyone's spirits, including Linda's. She often was smiling and shaking her head at Amy at the same time, but Kai could tell she was glad that she'd brought her friend along. 

"So," Amy said cheerfully, falling back in step with Kai, Abby, and Falte. "When did you guys's adventure start?" 

"When we were ten," Abby said, sharing a small smile with Kai. She began to explain the whole experience with Thorn and everything that had happened to them since then. Falte was listening with intent as well, mostly because they hadn't filled him in with all the details until now. Kai didn't feel like interjecting, so he kept walking, letting his thoughts carry him away. 

When Abby got to Luke, Kai realized how much he actually missed him. He missed the way he smiled, the way he talked, and the way he wrapped his arms around his torso like someone was going to punch him in the gut. He hardly ever thought of Luke because of the pain it brought him, but now he couldn't help but imagine what Luke and Shintaro had been like when they were young. 

Luke had been Shintaro's closest friend; therefore, Kai often wondered how much Shintaro missed him. He most likely missed their younger days, when they could freely run around and enjoy time together. He probably even missed all the times that he'd gotten to just see him fighting against Thorn's spirit. Kai was sure he was glad that he'd spent at least a little time with his friend before he had died. 

Kai was sure that they both missed him terribly. He often wondered what Moon thought when she killed him, or if she did it easily and didn't even think about it. Kai wondered if Luke knew that he was going to die the moment he started fighting Moon. He had said that she was a very dangerous person. 

A question that he had always asked himself since Luke's death resurfaced in his head. Would he ever be brave enough to make that kind of sacrifice? He always told himself that he would lay down his life for his friends and family, but what if the time came and he didn't? What would it cost him? How would things change? 

Kai really hoped he was brave enough to make a choice like that. He knew that Shintaro and Chase would sacrifice themselves without hesitation, but was Kai like that? He wanted to be, though he knew others wouldn't want him to either. 

Especially Linda.

What would Linda think if he sacrificed himself? He was now torn between two outcomes - he wanted to be selfless like that, but what suffering would he put the rest of his family through? He knew Falte and maybe even Chase would convince themselves that they shouldn't be sad because of his death, but be happy that he'd done something like that to them.

His next question was: What would he think if someone did that for him? He couldn't bear the thought of losing another friend. If he lost someone else, he was afraid that he would lose himself. But if he was the one doing the sacrificing, everything would be alright for his friends eventually. 

Hopefully none of them had to make a choice like that anytime.

Suddenly a bark split through the woods, and everyone jumped. Linda stopped, making everyone stop as well. She looked around her in confusion as Amy's eyes widened and she reached for one of her pouches quickly. Abby flinched and gazed around her frantically.

"Is there a dog loose out here?" Gabriel asked. "Amy, do you have a dog?" He turned to look at her with a questioning look.

She shook her head, her fingers hovering over the pouch on her right side. "I've never once had a dog. Besides, I don't think that was a dog... It sounded too... big." 

Abby clasped her hands together in fear, and Kai knew exactly what she was thinking about. She was nervous that there were wolves near, even though it was broad daylight and no one was injured.

"Don't worry," Linda said, catching Amy startling to slip open the pouch. She shook her head slightly and Amy's hand left the pouch. "Wolves don't normally attack humans, especially during the day." She glanced around her again, then her eyes caught on a cluster of bushes. 

Everyone followed her gaze, though Abby looked extremely reluctant and nervous to do so. 

Kai nearly started in fright as he realized that there was something standing behind the bushes, its white fur shining through the leaves. He saw dark green eyes locked on them, looking them over with a dangerous gleam. They locked on Kai and seemed to narrow, which made Kai's stomach twist in fear.

"Nobody move," Gabriel said though his teeth as Amy's hand flew back up to the half-opened pouch on her belt. 

Everyone gladly obeyed as the creature in the woods surveyed them. Kai couldn't look away, and when the green eyes looked back at him, he and the animal seemed to have a stare-down. He could hear the animal sniffing the air slightly, then the head raised from its lowered position, breaking their eye contact. 

The brilliant white wolf that stepped out of the brush didn't look very intent on harming them. Instead, its head was tipped in a curious way and its ears were pricked. The dark green eyes went from Kai to Abby then Linda, who was frowning in thought. Its shoulders were held high, along with its tail, but it wasn't showing any dominance or readiness to pounce. It only stood there curiously, blinking at the three. 

"There is a wolf," Amy said flatly. "There is a wolf standing there. Staring at us. Not doing anything. Staring at us," she added again, her voice laced with disbelief. 

Then the wolf moved. It opened its mouth and charged forward, straight at Kai.

~

MWAHAHAHAHA-

I updated and left you at a cliffhanger!! 

MWAHAHAHAHA-

I'm glad that my productiveness has come back. I think I'm going to be updating a little more than I thought this week. Thank you for reading!!

Until the next chapter!!

Peace!!~~~