Chapter Fourteen

Gabriel was waiting for them by the time the group got to the edge of the town. Kai was slightly concerned for Nanami, but the young girl seemed fine. She was skipping along happily, seemingly not caring about the heavy - at least for a girl her age - bag on her back. Linda was leading the way, and Kai could almost feel the determination radiating off her. Chase was behind Kai, while Abby was still next to him. She had his hand in hers and was looking like she was gathering herself. Falte was in the back, and Kai was probably the most concerned for him, but he looked fine.

Kai squeezed Abby's hand as Gabriel spotted them and waved them over. He had a backpack strapped onto his back and hiking boots on his feet. He looked ready, just as ready as Kai felt.

Hope, determination, and confidence was blooming in Kai's heart, and he just knew that they would get Shintaro back safely. He was sure of it, and if they didn't... He didn't know what he would do. He didn't want to think about what he would do, anyway.

He trained his eyes on Gabriel and listened on in the conversation he and Linda were having. They were talking about where they would go first, how Linda would track Moon's mind, because she couldn't get into Shintaro's head, when they would find a place to camp, what they would do when they did, and when they would get up the next day.

Abby squeezed his hand when the conversation went to the fact that the group would have to keep watch for predators, even at night. Kai looked at her until she met his eyes, then he gave her a small smile.

"Don't worry," he assured her. "I won't let you get hurt."

"I know you won't," the blond said back, returning Kai's smile. "It's still pretty nerve-racking. Last time we were out in the woods..." She trailed off, her sentence remaining unfinished as Kai's thoughts trailed away into the last time they had been in the woods - except this time, they had supplies. And since they survived last time, they would definitely survive this time.

Falte stopped beside his son, flashing him a smile when he looked up. He looked slightly winded, but other than that he looked fine. Kai was happy that Falte was ready for this adventure, but he also was worried for his father.

"I'll be alright," Falte said, somehow sensing Kai's thoughts. "Please don't worry so much. You're already stressing out enough, I can tell. No matter how hard to you try to hide it, I can tell. We'll get Shintaro back. Please stop worrying." He put a hand on Kai's shoulder, smiling gently.

"I know we'll get him back," Kai said. "There isn't any other option."

Falte chuckled. "I love your determination."

"It's not just determination," Kai replied. "It's certainty."

Falte smiled again. "I figured."

Kai turned his attention back to Linda and Gabriel, who were standing beside each other, seemingly doing a headcount. After they counted everyone, they turned to each other and started talking in hushed voices.

Kai caught snippets of their conversation, then Linda closed her eyes with a concentrated face. Gabriel turned to the rest of the group waiting for them and raised his voice to talk to them.

"As soon as Linda gets anything that sounds like Moon or Shintaro's thoughts," he said, "we're going to get moving. We have all day, so please prepare for a long day of walking." He looked down at Nanami and squatted in front of her. "Are you sure you don't want to stay with Ruby?"

Nanami nodded enthusiastically. She gave Gabriel a wide grin, clutching the straps of her backpack.

"Alright," Gabriel said, smiling back at her, then straightening back up.

"Are you sure you're okay with this?" Chase said to his sister. "I know you don't like -"

"I can do it, Chase," Abby replied reassuringly. She smiled at her brother, who raised his eyebrow at her, but didn't say anything else. She looked pretty nervous, but Kai knew he shouldn't pester her anymore. Instead he squeezed her hand again, and she smiled at him.

Linda opened her eyes finally, and looked around her with a sigh. "It's far, but I caught a sliver of Moon's mind. She's ... a few weeks walk away, and she might move around. We best get moving."

Kai felt a strange feeling of "We're actually doing this" and pushed it down. Of course they were. They had to do this.

Falte was practically bouncing on his toes. "Let's get going, then. Linda, you lead." He gave the purple haired girl a wide smile, which she returned before she turned around and started walking towards the woods.

Chase was the first to follow her, then Gabriel tagged along behind him. Falte gave his son another smile, then began walking as well. Abby started forward, and Kai followed. He couldn't help but watch Chase as he walked behind Linda. He was nervous about hurting Chase while they were on this trip, because he knew Chase wouldn't say anything about it and the whole time Kai would be hurting him.

"There you go again," Linda said in his head, her voice gentle but firm at the same time. "Stop thinking about what Moon said to you. Even if you are hurting him, there's no need to worry about him. He's a tough kid."

He's eighteen, Kai thought back teasingly.

"Still a kid," Linda said back, throwing a glance over her shoulder at Kai.

Kai rolled his eyes and stared at his feet. He didn't want to have the feeling of hope that was bubbling inside him, instead he wanted a feeling of determination. He wanted to know that they were going to get Shintaro back, no matter what. He wanted to know that Shintaro would come back safe and things would go back to normal. He wanted to know that Moon would be defeated and whatever she was scheming wouldn't come into play. He wanted to know.

He was only faking that determination, but he wanted to feel it. To know it.

But he could only feel hope.

~

I'M SO SORRY. *crumples in despair*

I haven't updated this in so long....

I'm sorry....

Waaaaaaaaah....

Well, I'll try to update a LITTLE more often. Thanks for reading!

Until the next chapter!

Peace!~~~