Chapter Eight

Kai woke up the next morning slumped sideways against Abby, who was lying on her side on the arm of the couch. Falte was leaning on his other side, keeping him from moving. He had to blink for a moment when he opened his eyes - everyone somehow managed to fall asleep with the living room light still on. Chase was still sitting on his knees beside the couch, but his upper body was draped over Kai's lap. Linda had fallen asleep in almost the exact same position but on the little table that was in front of the sofa. Shintaro was sitting on Chase's other side, his hand clasped around Kai's. He was resting his elbow on one of his knees and his hand on his chin - and somehow sleeping at the same time. 

Kai couldn't move an inch, otherwise everyone but Linda would wake. It seemed like everyone was gathered around him. He knew Linda wasn't because of the lack of space and how much she didn't like crowded areas; but he knew she'd stayed by his side until he fell back asleep.

They all had. That was something he was forever grateful for. His mouth turned up into a smile as he thought about how many times his friends were there for him. When he was hurt, when he was upset, when Luke had died. There were so many other times in the past five years that he couldn't even name. Kai sighed with a smile on his face, closing his eyes and letting comfort wash over him. 

Maybe everything was okay, just as long as he had his friends. That was something he enjoyed most - being with his friends and family. That was the best thing he could ever imagine. He didn't know what he would do without Linda's sarcastic, motherly demeanor. He didn't know what he would do without Chase's gentle yet firm safety precautions and his friendship. He didn't know what he would do without an amazing father like Falte. Abby's kind, caring attitude toward everyone. Shintaro's gruff comfort and firm determination.

Kai would probably be nothing without his friends, that he knew. He was extremely glad that he had friends like the ones he had right now. If he ever said anything against them, he knew he would turn right back around because he needed them. 

And thankfully, he had them. He would never let any one of his friends perish again. He would protect them no matter what the cost. He promised silently to every single one his friends as he watched them sleep. Falte caught his eye, and he promised something much deeper - that nothing meant to harm would ever touch his father when Kai was around. He would make sure of that. 

Linda sighed quietly, making Kai's stomach twist. Startled, he turned to look at her to see if she was alright. She looked fine. Her eyes were closed, but her mouth was turned up in a smile. Kai knew when he saw that soft smile that she was awake. She had heard what he was thinking - and this time he didn't mind it. He wanted to make his promise known. 

Kai felt another smile creep onto his face as he closed his eyes and leaned into Abby's shoulder. She shifted one of her legs slightly, but didn't show any signs of waking. Kai felt himself doze off, then his ears picked up a sound coming from another room. It was faint, but it was a buzzing sound that would have driven his mother insane if no one shut it off in five seconds. 

That was something he got from his mother. Any annoying noises had to stop immediately, otherwise his mood would be crushed. Kai lifted his head, turning it to the right, toward the hallway. 

It was his father's alarm. Kai struggled to lift one of his arms to tap his father, but Shintaro had a hold of one of his hands and Chase was lying on the other. Kai shrugged his right shoulder, making Falte slip off him slightly. He mumbled something but didn't wake. 

Kai glanced up at the clock. 7:35 A.M. The alarm had been going off for an hour and a half. Falte had work at 8. If he didn't get up now, he'd miss his shift. Kai sighed and shrugged his shoulder again.