Chapter Ten

Nanami had made herself at home as soon as her stuff arrived. She unpacked her blankets and books, lying them next to the couch. She'd been with them for a few weeks now, and everything was going fine. She almost always was by Shintaro's side, and when she wasn't, she was playing with Abby or sitting with Kai. Abby, Shintaro, and Kai seemed to be her favorites. Kai knew everyone else didn't really care, but he kind of felt guilty about it.

Kai was always keeping an eye out for Moon, but she hadn't made any appearances since Nanami's father had died. She probably knew that lots of people had seen her, so she was waiting until things died down. Her plan, whatever it was, seemed perfectly planned out, like she knew that things would always end up in her favor. 

It was unsettling to think that Moon had planned something that he didn't know about. He didn't like not knowing what was going to happen, so he didn't like anything mystery related. The way Moon was acting - sneaky, insane, mysterious - made it feel like she knew almost everything that he didn't. 

Kai swore that he wouldn't let her near his family again.

~

Kai was thrown out of his dream in the middle of the night by a loud crash in the room beside his. He jumped in fright and sat up quickly, rubbing his eyes. He blinked a few times to let them adjust, then looked up at Chase, who was sitting up as well. He looked just as confused as Kai felt. What was that? Did something fall? 

He realized with another start that the crash had come from his father's room. Chase was already making his way out of the room, but Kai was right behind him in a matter of seconds. They rushed out of the room and into the hall, then turned and faced Falte's room. 

Chase pushed the door open hurriedly, and Kai felt a panicked feeling twist in his stomach. Chase entered the room quickly, and Kai was not far behind. Before Kai could get anywhere, however, Chase froze and yelled in shock.

Kai, panicked and ready to fight, shoved Chase out of the way to see what was happening. The sight before him made his stomach twist in familiar fear. 

Shintaro was dodging, kicking, and jabbing furiously at a figure - Moon - standing in front of him, struggling to get past him. There was blood splashed on Shintaro's cheek, but it was Moon who was staggering. Falte was on the other side of the room, his back pressed against the wall and his eyes wide. They darted over to Kai when the two boys burst into the room.

Chase moved forward quickly when Moon kicked Shintaro in the side, and Kai rushed over to his father. He took Falte's hand and pulled him toward the doorway, then pushed his father out of the room. He couldn't risk his father getting hurt. When he shut the door, Kai whipped back around to help.

Shintaro ducked under one of Moon's hands, brought his leg up, and kicked her in the face. Moon stumbled back, touching her mouth. Chase lunged forward and caught her, pulling her hands behind her back and kicking her knees to bring her down. Kai rushed to Shintaro's side, helping the man straighten back up.

Though he was extremely confused and angry, Kai decided not to say anything. Shintaro angrily stepped forward and squatted in front of Moon.

"What are you doing here, Moon?" he asked huffily. "Do you think you can come in here and try to attack us without consequences?" 

"Ha!" Moon spat. "I'm not here to simply attack. I'm here for you, dear boy." She suddenly wrenched one of her arms sideways, throwing Chase off balance. Then she flung her head back and nailed Chase's chin with her skull. Chase grunted and staggered back, losing his hold on her left arm. She jutted that arm backward and hit Chase's stomach, then something Dark burst from her fingertips, sending Chase into the wall behind him. He yelled in pain and crumpled forward onto his hands and knees.

Kai jumped to action, grabbing Moon's reaching for Moon's free hands, but she was suddenly on her feet. She pushed Kai aside like he was trash. He landed hard on his knees, but jumped back up immediately, whipping around.

No, he thought, panicked, as Moon grabbed Shintaro by the arm. She's not getting to Shintaro. She's not. He rushed at Moon and grabbed her torso without pausing. She lost her hold and was now struggling in Kai's arms angrily.

I'm sorry, Chase, Kai thought. I can't get to you right now. Though I would probably make it worse, his mind added involuntarily. He gripped Moon tightly even as she kicked him hard in the knee. Her elbow slammed down onto his left shoulder, and he screamed in pain. 

Shintaro was suddenly there, grabbing Moon's arms, pulling her out of Kai's grip. He held her firmly, but she was clever. Her right knee smashed into Shintaro's gut, and he staggered backward, letting go of her. 

Kai hurried to his feet and rushed up to Moon again. Instead of grabbing her this time, he slid onto the floor and hooked his legs around hers. Now she couldn't walk without tripping. She wobbled for a moment, then hissed - literally hissed - down at Kai. 

Shintaro stood straight again, snatching her arms and interlocking them so she couldn't move them. She let out a scream of anger and began to jerk. Kai almost lost his hold, but he thankfully kept her legs together. 

"NO!" she yelled. "I'm not failing this time! Let go of me!" Suddenly, she wrenched one leg free and kicked Kai in the face with her heel. Kai slammed the back of his head on the floor painfully as Moon lifted her other leg and kicked Shintaro in the gut again. 

Her arms now free, she jumped over Shintaro and hooked her legs around his shoulders, covering his eyes with her hands so he couldn't see. Kai watched through the stars dancing in his vision as Shintaro staggered backward into the wall, yelling angrily. 

Chase was up and there again, jumping up and nailing Moon in the shoulder with his foot. She leaned sideways, grunting, but Shintaro stumbled to the side with her. Moon uncovered his eyes and pressed her hands to the side of his head as he tried to reach up and get her off him. 

There was a Dark flash that put Kai in darkness momentarily, but he blinked it away and struggled to his feet. When he could see again, Shintaro was collapsed on the floor, Chase was crouched and holding his head, and Moon was standing over Shintaro with a triumphant laugh. She grabbed his arms and hauled him up, then winked at Kai. 

"Until we meet again, boy," she said, smirking at him. Kai felt panic slice through his whole body, and he lunged forward with a yell. NO! NO, NO, NO! his mind screamed, but he couldn't make it to Moon before there was another, smaller flash, and she and Shintaro were gone. 

~

HERE IT IS. THE CHAPTER THAT SHINTARO LEAVES. THIS MAKES ME REALLY UPSET BUT HAPPY AT THE SAME TIME, BECAUSE THIS IS SO MUCH ANGUISH BUT IT'S ALSO GOING TO BE HARD WRITING WITHOUT SHINTARO. JHAGKJAHJKDGHAKSDJHKAJSHFAKJDGH!!

Will he be OKAY?!!?!?!?!?!?!!?

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-

*cuts off and takes a deep breath* Well, until the next chapter... Enjoy!!

Peace!!~~