Chapter 24: "She knows about Addison."

Start from the beginning

Stepping into the community hall, my eyes were blessed by the huge chandelier hanging from the ceiling, the golden flames dancing in the bright room. Tall, black curtains covered the windows as the various people strutted along, flaunting their ever so vibrant outfits and the accessories accompanying them.

"We'll be near if you need something," the principal whispered to us before he and his wife walked away, leaving us on our own, utterly clueless.

A few minutes later, Francesca stepped away from us. "Where are you going?" I asked.

"The event starts in 30 minutes. I'd rather use this time for socializing."

"Do you know anyone here?"

"No, but there's no better day to start than today." Passing us a grin, she disappeared into the crowd.

"Well... That's odd."

"Don't sweat it. Being the social butterfly kinda runs in the family," Josh said.

My eyes drifted off to the others gathered in the same room as us, right when a familiar figure walked into the room. My blood ran cold. Being around him just made me feel... uncomfortable, like he's a bad influence. "What's he doing here?" I pointed.

Josh followed my finger, "Professor Hemmingway? I won't be really surprised if this was one of the principal's many techniques into making people believe that he's innocent," he shrugged. Just then, his eyes met mine from among the crowd and I diverted my gaze immediately. "And there are the Rosensteins." Josh pointed out a couple in the crowd- a man with grey, neatly-combed hair, a stubbled face and a woman accompanying him with platinum blonde hair and a strong-jawed face, dressed in an exquisite fashion.

"They look so... grandiose."

"I know. They're like the Kardashians of Valenchester, minus the plastic surgeries and BBLs - the most influential family in this town, if not in the whole of the US. Founders of the Rosenstein Corp, they're even the members of the president's most affluential friend circle."

"You don't tell," I glared at him in shock. He simply made a zipper sign in his lips. "But Maeve and Grace don't seem like--"

"Braggarts? That's one thing they haven't inherited from their parents."

I stared at the Rosensteins from a distance. Mrs. Rosenstein adjusted her, what appeared to be a real diamond necklace before the assembled crowd in front of them. "Thank goodness they didn't take it after their parents." I turned my gaze back at Josh, "Aren't your parents going to be here?"

"They're just running late." I nodded, resuming to look at the various strangers before us. "Well, since I'm not accustomed to being stuffed around in stiff tuxes, and judging by your posture, I can say the same for you...?"

I looked down at my bodycon dress that was too short for my interest. "Is it that obvious?"

"Um... It doesn't matter. Anyways, I'm just gonna do my favourite part of being in a party like this one."

"Which is?"

"Raid the banquet!"

******

"Mhmmm..." I moaned before taking in another bite of the tangy and delicate sushi, the flavours blending in my mouth. "This is the first time I've had an Asian dish since I stepped foot here!"

"Valenchester is known for its immigrants. No wonder there would be a variety of cuisine at this party," he said, his mouth filled with the peri peri chicken. "Being a black guy in the US isn't easy, but the people of Valenchester are mostly considerate, and the food at such events never fails to impress me."