Chapter 95 : "The game started with us, and we had to be the ones to end it."

"And that was how you found Francesca that night," detective Richardson said.

"Yes," I answered.

"With Francesca back, you expected her to know everything about the Butterfly, but that wasn't the case, was it?"

I scoffed and shrugged my shoulders. "You have all the evidence right before you, detective. You know the answer to that question," I said with a smile.

He inhaled deeply and nodded. "Well, the tale only twists thereafter, right?"

"Precisely."

******

MARCH 18, 2020

MARCH 18, 2020

The faint beeping of monitors and equipment filled the air as Grace, detective Gonzalez and I waited outside the room Francesca had been admitted to

The faint beeping of monitors and equipment filled the air as Grace, detective Gonzalez and I waited outside the room Francesca had been admitted to. Grace had a look of relief on her face while detective Gonzalez paced through the hallway, deep in thought.

"This could be the last string, right?" Grace asked the detective. "Francesca will know who the Butterfly is."

"We hope so," he said, nodding his head.

I was not convinced. If Francesca knew who the Butterfly was, why would the Butterfly give her back? They weren't foolish enough to dig their own grave. Francesca was our strongest bet on getting to the Butterfly, but what if she turned out to be our strongest setback?

"Francesca!" Down the far end of the hallway, I noticed her family, followed by our friends and Principal Hawthorne, rushing toward us.

"April?" Kenji asked, widening his eyes.

"Grace?" Maeve asked, scrunching her brows.

"What are you two doing here?" Josh asked, his jaw hanging.

"Where is my daughter?" Francesca's father asked the detective.

"The doctors are checking up on her," he answered, pointing to the room she was in.