Chapter 102: "I had opened Pandora's box."

"So, your dad invited his killer in," Detective Richardson said, caution in the way he spoke.

"Yes," I answered.

"Did you have any suspects as to who they were?"

"I can give you a list, Detective," I said with a scoff. "At that moment, I suspected the entire town to be involved in his death, but I think we finally know who was behind it all so I'll pass the mic back to you."

The Detective raised his eyebrows and leaned back in his chair. "Tell me what happened next. What was your next step?"

My lips rose in a smirk. "I would not stop until I got a hold on the Butterfly...and ended them once and for all."

******

MARCH 30, 2020

MARCH 30, 2020

"April, you know you can take a break from the Butterfly thing, right? It's okay to mourn your--"

"No," I said, cutting Kenji off, "every second we spend in idleness is an opportunity for the Butterfly to ruin our lives, and I won't let that happen. Kenji, if you don't want to be a part of this, just tell me right now." I turned to Theo. "You too, Theo."

Theo shook his head, biting the inside of his cheek. "I'm in. You don't have to ask."

The both of us looked at Kenji for his answer.

He shrugged. "I'm here, aren't I?"

"Good," I said. "Did you bring what I said?" I asked Kenji.

"Ah, yes." He shuffled through his pockets and retrieved a pair of burners. "One for you, one for me, buddy," he said, handing one of them to Theo.

"We'll use these," I said and took out my own burner phone, "whenever we need to convey messages between the three of us. The Butterfly won't be able to track any of us on these burners."

"I take this as the reason why you were so adamant of me turning off my phone?" Theo asked me which I answered with a nod.

"You know, this can be our version of the Scoops Troop!" Kenji beamed, displaying an ear-to-ear grin.