Chapter 49: "This was never how it should've been."

"It always ends with making a choice, doesn't it?" detective Richardson asked.

I smiled and nodded. "It sure does."

"So what was the option with lesser consequences?"

I paused for a while and remembered the day that changed everything. "The path which made me realize what I truly wanted."

******

DECEMBER 4, 2019

DECEMBER 4, 2019

"You sure about this?" Francesca asked, her eyes aimed at the road as she spoke

I flicked the black card in my fingers. The business card for Cypress with its golden, intricate details. Sucking in a sharp breath, I nodded. "I am."

"Good." She shrugged. "And about Theo - "

"Francesca," I cut her off, "whatever I'm about to do, is the best for us. Theo will understand it too." At least, I hope he does.

"I didn't mean to be offensive!" She raised her hands in the air for a split second before grabbing the wheel again. "April, I've been in tough situations too and I've had to make decisions that didn't offer me the fairest results. People made choices on my behalf, which I still regret. I don't want the same thing to happen with you or Theo."

"You mean the times when Grace chose Allison over you without giving you a chance to explain yourself?" She remained silent, but exhaled deeply. "I understand where you're coming from, Francesca, but trust me. You, of all people, have nothing to worry about. I know what I want and I know what Theo wants as well, and if anything goes wrong, there will be no one else to be blamed but me."

She acknowledged my words. "Just... take care, alright?"

I nodded. "I will."

******

As the car pulled up before the Cypress University, I failed to tear my eyes away from its towering and glorious infrastructure. Rustic, stupendous and trapped in time itself. With its brown and red exterior, tall stained windows, short shrubs and benches lining the courtyard with fall leaves scattered all around, it was straight out of the 16th century itself, despite being established only a few years ago.