Chapter 98: "I should be nothing but truthful myself."

"Wait, the Butterfly got dresses for you and your friends?" detective Richardson asked.

"Yeah," I said with a nod.

"Did you find any clothing tags? Anything that could lead you to--"

"No, detective," I interrupted. "The Butterfly made sure we couldn't trace their steps, which wasn't much of a surprise either."

The detective inhaled and leaned back in his chair. "We'll be talking about March twenty-fifth now- the day of the masquerade," he said.

I bobbed my head and fiddled with my fingers before looking up at him. "Let's get it over with."

******

MARCH 25, 2020

MARCH 25, 2020

I was back in the mansion-seeming house in Valenchester my dad was staying at

I was back in the mansion-seeming house in Valenchester my dad was staying at. However, the solemn look on his face distracted me from the grandeur all around.

"Did you see the phone booth outside? Who even uses those?" I laughed, hoping it would break the wall of uneasiness, but when he didn't answer my question, I realized I was in terrible trouble. "Dad, why did you cal--"

"Sit down," he said, cutting me off, and pointed at the living room sofa instead.

Puzzled and equally intimidated by his demeanor, I did as he told. He then left for another room, leaving me alone with my infinite thoughts.

Did anyone inform him about Theo and my rendezvous at the hospital? No, that wasn't enough of a justification for his cold aura.

Did Principal Hawthorne tell him about Theo's wish to let me remain a student of Beacon Heights even in Korea? No, that wouldn't explain his long face.

Did he know about the Founding Ball and that I was attending? I didn't have an answer to that, but I knew I would soon when dad entered the room with a stack of newspapers in his hands and that made the knot in my stomach grow tighter. He handed me the papers before sitting across from me.