Chapter 34: "No one but me knows better."

"So Maeve had been protecting Roman all along... But why? Clearly not out of love of course. Had he been... blackmailing her?" Detective Richardson asked.

"Detective, there is no definite good or evil in life, unlike what we hear in fairytales. Just like that, love isn't always... sunshine and roses. At least it wasn't for Maeve."

"So you're saying that she loved him?"

"I wouldn't use the word 'love' to describe the relationship they shared." A bewildered look spread across his face. "You see, detective, family and friends are what matters most to a person... But when someone has to make a choice between the two, they end up saving the dearest. Maeve did too, even if it wasn't according to her own preferences."

******

NOVEMBER 1 1, 2019

NOVEMBER 1 1, 2019

Finishing up with the final strokes of the portrait, I set aside my paintbrush to stare at the figure before me

"Hey." The sound of footsteps against the floor diverted my attention. I turned to my left to find Francesca heading my way with a steaming, ceramic mug in her hand.

"Hi..."

She glanced at my painting. "I thought you would be practising for the Talent Show...?"

"Yeah uh, you know how nervous I get before the actual competition." I shrugged.

"No one but me know better." She pursed her lips together." Anyways, I brought you coffee. "She handed me over the cup. "Double-shot Americano, your favorite."

"... Thanks." As the ceramic exterior of the mug came in contact with my palms, a warmth spread through my body. The strong, nutty and smoky aroma evaded my nostrils as I took a long sniff of the drink.

"And who do we have here?" Francesca gazed back at the portrait. "Helen Eugenie Moore Anderson, the first woman appointed chief of mission at the ambassador level in US history." She raised an eyebrow at me.