Chapter 107: "We do whatever it takes to win."

"So, Allison visited the cabin where Francesca was held captive?" Detective Richardson asked and I nodded.

"'Snuck in' would be a better word, detective," I inserted.

"Right. It does seem shady of her to go there so late at night," he bobbed his head, thinking it through. "Did you have any idea what she was looking for?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "No clue."

"She was frustrated about not finding it, right?"

"By the tone of her groan, yes," I said and paused, leaning into the table. "Or maybe, it was all a setup?"

He crinkled his eyebrows at my question. "What do you mean?" he asked.

"You never know, Detective. Allison was that unpredictable, after all. Maybe she was walking into a trap herself, or maybe, she was leading me into one," I explained and straightened up.

"And which one was it?"

I exhaled and answered. "Whichever you want to believe, Detective."

******

APRIL 4, 2020

APRIL 4, 2020

I had returned home during spring break but I wasn't really happy about it

I had returned home during spring break but I wasn't really happy about it. Maeve wasn't here. My efforts at convincing her to come with me were futile and it was very apparent that mom and dad wouldn't have it any other way.

I was at the dinner table with them when mom suddenly spoke up. "The Covingtons are having a party this Tuesday. Their son is turning twenty-six."

"I can't stand that family," dad commented. I quietly chewed my food, hoping to get out of there as soon as I could.

"Me neither. Patricia Covington in particular is so...opinionated," mom said with a scowl. "But we need to be in her good graces. Being the lawyer that she is, she keeps an eye out for every gossip in this town."

The remarks don't come off as a surprise to me. Affluent people like us wear masks like a second skin. They appear amiable on the forefront but on the inside, they're just as conniving.