Chapter Eighteen

*The First Day of School*

Today's the first day of school and I'm really honestly scared. I know I'll have Merrick with me, but I'm still worried. I mean, what if they don't like me? What if they think I'm just some girl who doesn't deserve Merrick? What if they-

"Mel." I'm interrupted by Merrick's bell-like voice cutting through my negative thoughts. "Are you overthinking again?"

"I- yeah." I turn to him. "What if they don't like me Mer? What if they think I'm just some random girl who-"

"Mel, I promise you you are the sweetest most caring girl I've ever met. You deserve every good thing that comes your way. Especially things like me," he adds with a cheeky smile. I give him a look and he puts his hands up in surrender. "I just want you to know," he says coming closer, "you are the best girlfriend I could ask for." He pecks me softly and all my nerves disappear. I guess that's a good thing because my old friend's mom used to say, "Leave the one that makes you nervous and feel like you want to throw up. Stay with the one that calms you down and makes you feel secure."

"Come on," he says. "It's 7:30 and school takes us fifteen minutes to get to and starts in thirty." We make our way downstairs and into the car so Aletha can drive us to school. I'm very grateful she offered because I really didn't want to take the bus on the first day.

When we get to school, Merrick opens the door for me and I giggle which helps release the nerves. He takes my hand and intertwines our fingers and rubs soothing circles with his thumb on the back of my hand. We go to the office to get my schedule and the lady at the desk is really nice. She also looks really familiar.

"I didn't know you'd be coming to this school fair girl."

Immediately, my mind flashes back to the day Merrick and I went to the fair. "It's you," I gasp.

"In the flesh, sugar."

The ride worker.

"Around here, I'm officially known as Mrs. Heart." Honestly, the name suits her. She helped Merrick and I get to where we were. I don't know where we would be right know if we hadn't met her.

"You here for your schedule?" I nod my head. "I got it right here Ms. Melody." She already knows my name, and something tells me I'm going to be seeing a lot more of her around.

"Thank you," I say softly.

"No problem, sugar. Just come to me if you need anything." I nod my head once more, and Merrick and I go outside to the courtyard to meet his friends he's told me about.

"I knew she looked familiar," Merrick says. "When we went to the fair, I knew there was just something about her."

He leads me over to another boy-girl duo that look quite similar. I'm guessing brother and sister. "Melody," Merrick says. "Meet Nick and Jennifer." The girl shoots him a look and I immediately recognize her from a few of Merrick's TikToks.

   She smiles at me and offers her hand

She smiles at me and offers her hand. "I'm Jennifer, but please call me Jenn." I shyly shake her hand and she just admires me as if I'm the first girl she's seen in forever. She turns to Merrick and says, "You definitely picked a good one Mer."

I blush and my gaze falls to my shoes.

"Nice taste by the way." I look at my outfit which was pretty simple. Just a baby blue blouse and white overalls, with my silver Vans.

   "Thanks," I say, barely more audible than a whisper

"No sweat girl."

The boy offers me his hand next. "I'm Nick." He's quiet, shy, and great best friend material.

   "Hi Nick," I say quietly

"Hi Nick," I say quietly. We shook hands and I could feel a smile growing on my face as he smiled at me. Together, we walked into school to start the very first day of sophomore year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note

Hey guys! I finally updated for you all. I promise to try and get better at that as I get better at my school work. If any of you go to UH in Arizona Tolleson district, please let me know because I may have a surprise in store for you. Anyway, I hope you all are having a wonderful day so far! Don't forget that I love you all so so much! See you next time! By the way I added the pictures so y'all can see!