Chapter Seven

"I- I care. I'm your best friend. When did this start?" (Sike! y'all thought he was gonna say i love you it's too early)

   I took a deep breath, and began to tell him. 

   "It started the year you left but I mostly ignored it then. Then, the second year it got worse and harder to ignore. By the third year, it was so bad I just needed something to help me escape. The words were cruel and ugly. And I had no defense." (Hunger Games ref!)

   "What did they say?"

   "They said- said-" I sighed. 

   "Please tell me. I want to help you."

   I turned away from him. I couldn't do it. I couldn't look him in the eye and see him completely fall apart at what I was about to say. 

   "They said I wasn't good enough for you," I said in a whisper. "That I didn't deserve to be your friend, that you didn't care, and I should die." The last part was barely within hearing range. 

   I heard him slump down against the wall and whisper something. 

   "What?" I asked. 

   "This is all my fault," he said getting up. "If I'd never had left, if I'd never taken that stupid audition-" 

   "Hey!" I said, getting up in front of him. "It was not your fault," I said softer. 

   "Yes it was. You said-" 

   "I know what I said, and I know what they said. Never once did I blame you. Never once will I blame you. You are my best friend Mer. And-"

   I couldn't do it. I couldn't say three simple words that would express how I truly felt. I couldn't say "I love you". 

   "And?"

   "And nothing. Just, please don't blame yourself." 

   I hugged him tightly, like I had all those years ago at America's Got Talent. And he hugged me back just as tight. 

   It was already pretty late in the day, and we were already dressed for bed, so we decided to go to bed. As he was leaving, I grabbed his arm, making him turn back to me.

   "Stay?"

   With no words, he climbed into the bed next to me and pulled me close his arms tight around my waist, his face in my neck. I put my arms around his neck and put my cheek on his head. Our legs were all tangled together. He pulled back suddenly after a few minutes of silence to look me in the eye. 

   "Just promise me one thing."

   "Anything."

   "No more?"

   "No more," I said wrapping my arms around his torso and burying my face in his chest. He put his arms around me and put his cheek on my head and stroked my hair, effectively making me calm and sleepy. 

   All in all, my first day at the Hanna house had been a long and tiring emotional roller coaster.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note:

I know super short, only 477 words, but very emotionally draining to write. I promise the next one will have at least 1000 words. I love you all!! Please remember to vote and comment and spread the word!! And may the odds be ever in your favor!