Chapter Fourteen

As we drove, I couldn't help but get more and more excited. No one had ever done anything like this for me before. It just made me all gushy and girly inside.

When we got to the spot, Shawn helped me out of the car, and then they left. I spotted another note on the boulder about five feet away. It read-

I knew you would make it. I'm at the clearing just down the trail. ~Merrick

Less then a minute later, I saw a little picnic set up and Merrick leaning against a nearby tree, dressed in a white button down withe the first button undone, and khaki pants. He saw me and began walking toward me.

"You're here."

"Where else would I be?" I teased.

He laughed. "You wanna eat?" He gestured to the food.

"Absolutely," I said.

We sat down and started eating. After, we had chocolate covered strawberries. Like something right out of a book. A real fairytale-like picnic. We had only one strawberry left.

"You eat it," I said.

"No, I set this all up for you. It's yours."

"I can't. I already had like five."

"Let's split it then. Here."

He held it out for me to bite, then finished it off.

We laid down side by side to look at the stars.

"Look. There's the Aquarius constellation," I pointed out.

"I don't see it." I giggled.

"Look. Over here. This star cluster. See how they all seem to form a picture."

"Yeah."

"That particular one is Gemini."

For the rest of the night we looked at stars and constellations. I taught Mer how to look for them, and soon enough, he was expertly pointing out alongside me.

A little while later, I yawned, feeling tired and happy.

"Are you ready to head back?" Mer asked.

"Five more minutes," I said, snuggling into his side and closing my eyes. He chuckled.

"In five minutes, you'll be asleep."

"But you'll still be here."

"I'll be at home too."

I sighed. "Okay."

He got up and held out a hand for me. I took it and he ended up flush against me.

"I think you overshot again," I breathed, looking at his lips.

"Did I? I don't think I did."

He kissed me and fireworks erupted. My arms found their way around his neck, and my right hand went to his hair. He wound his arms around my waist, not wanting to let me go.

I pulled back, needing a little thing called oxygen. We were both breathing hard.

His forehead was pressed on mine.

"I love you," he said.

"I love you too," I said back.

He took my hand in his. "Come on. Let's go back."

It wasn't very far. It turns out his parents had wanted to build suspense so they took a longer route. We walked back to the house. It was about 9:30 when we got back. Sag surprisingly was in the kitchen.

"So. How was the date?"

"It went pretty well, if you ask me," Merrick said. He looked to me.

I sighed. "Best night of my life so far."

"So far," Sag said, looking at me. I narrowed my eyes slightly.

"Where's Mom and Dad?" Merrick asked.

"Asleep. Like I'm gonna be in a few minutes." He started to walk away. "Oh yeah." He turned to face us. "No funny business." Merrick rolled his eyes and I became a light shade of pink.

  As we snuggled in bed later, his bed this time, and me in his clothes and him in my sweatshirt, a thought hit me.

   "Do you remember when you said a best friend was better than a boyfriend?"

   "Yeah. Why?"

   "Do you still think that?" I looked up at him, a slightly worried look on my face.

   He looked at me, taking in my expression. He gently cupped my face in his hands. "If I thought that we wouldn't be like this right now, and I wouldn't do this." He kissed me softly and I kissed him back, loving the taste of his soft pink lips.

   When he pulled away, I whined softly at the loss of contact. He chuckled. "It's time for bed."

   I pouted. He laughed this time. Merrick gave me one more peck before pulling me close and stroking my hair, singing quietly. I yawned.

   "Sleep well Mel."

   I wish I could've. A little while later. I still wasn't asleep. Then, a small dark figure entered the room.

   "Sag?" I whispered.

   A soft reply answered mine. "Yeah?"

   "Why are you up? It's-" I looked at the clock, "11 at night."

   "To see if you were up. I had a nightmare and my parents are deep sleepers."

   I sat up. "Come here."

   He crawled onto my lap, hugging his little arms around my neck.

   I wrapped one arm around his torso, and used my other hand to finger through his hair. A calming action I remember my mother doing when I was little and plagued with night terrors.

   "Sing?" he asked.

   Softly, I began to sing a lullaby my mother would sing to me. (Play now)

Lavender's blue dilly dilly Lavender's green
When I am king dilly dilly You shall be queen

Who told you so dilly dilly Who told you so
'Twas my own heart dilly dilly That told me so

Call up your men dilly dilly Set them to work
Some to the ploughing dilly dilly Some to the fork

Some to make hay dilly dilly Some to cut corn
While you and I dilly dilly Keep ourselves warm

Lavender's green dilly dilly Lavender's blue
If you love me dilly dilly I will love you

Let the birds sing dilly dilly And the lambs play
We shall be safe dilly dilly Out of harm's way

I love to dance dilly dilly I love to sing
When I am queen dilly dilly you'll be my king

He was asleep now and I laid back down gently, Merrick's arms finding their way around the both of us. I finished gently.

Who told me so dilly dilly Who told me so
I told myself dilly dilly I told me so

With that, I fell asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note

Hey guys!! 1032 words!! Much longer than I planned on writing but I hope it's worth it. I won't be updating til Wednesday and even then the update probably won't be til around 5 or 6. Remember, I love you all!! Vote comment and spread the word!! No ghost readers!!