18

(Age 24, District 13)

Apparently my little excursion yesterday had given me privileges. I am now officially residing in the main ward with Johanna.  No more solidarity confinement. I still had to be 'watched' when I leave the hospital but it's fine. I just can't leave the hospital alone. 

Haymitch surprisingly is my first visitor of the day. I wasn't expecting it but he's decided to take me to breakfast in the cafeteria 'just us'. Johanna was very suspicious and put out by the lack of invite.

I didn't really speak at all during the trip down to the cafeteria or while we both stood in line to collect a bowl of cereal. There was an elephant in the room. I knew why he wanted to talk, I just didn't know if I could handle this talk. 

We sat across from each other and I started swirling the cereal around in my bowl. I heard Haymitch grunt and I looked up at his tired face.  "I'm sorry I didn't get him out in time. But you should know, he loved you like his own".

I nodded. "I know. He was my family". I sniffed before I chuckled sadly. 

Haymitch gave me a sad smile and rubbed his neck. "Listen kid, I'm not good with words but he'd probably kill me from the beyond the grave if I didn't at least check in on you every now and then."

I nodded. "I'm okay Haymitch.".

He shook his head at me. "Okay. But if you ever need to talk...I know I won't ever be as good as him, but I'll do my best".

I sniffed while smiling up at him. "Thank you". I took in his current state before I giggled. "Who knew it'd be you that'd be the first to go completely cold turkey"

He shook his head in amusement . "Not like it was my choice hothead".

When I returned to the main ward Johanna rose her eyebrows in question and I mouthed 'Slendor' at her. She sighed before walking over to my bed. She turned to the side and clicked her tongue in annoyance. "You don't have any left?"

I shook my head at her in disapproval. "They're cutting me off. I can't figure out what's real or not if I'm on morphine".

She growled lowly in annoyance. She huffed. "Well I don't think I can handle John today if I'm sober".

I snorted. "Don't remind me. He thinks I'm antisocial".

She smiled at me. "That's funny, and here I was thinking you had lots of friends".

I shook my head, a foggy memory of Finnick in an elevator. I snorted when it came back to me. "Ha I remember that, what did we even do before Finnick found us?"

She chuckled somewhat darkly. "Shopping,drinking, dancing. Y-you..."

I rose my eyebrows at her. "I what?..."

She huffed. "Doesn't matter it was seven years ago."

I glared at her lightly. "I won't get any better if you don't answer my questions".

She gave me a challenging look that said 'drop it'.  "You  didn't remember it before the Capitol messed you up so, let it go".

A sudden memory of Johanna screaming 'let it go' over the phone entered my mind. I smiled at her. "You yelled at me over the phone to let it go and then ignored me for two weeks. True or not true?"

She snorted in amusement. "Definitely true". 

It went back and forth for a while until John entered the hospital. Johanna turned to me with a look of dread. I'm sure my expression was exactly the same.