31

Servants ran around everywhere. They were putting decorations up, taking note of every tiny detail.

Alexander was on his throne looking bored as ever, yet angry. I sat beside him on my own throne.

The royal life is one filled with pleasantries of never having to do anything, a servant ready to do anything and everything for you. Yet, it was boring and oh so unloving. To never have anything to call your own and have the pleasure to see the hard work you do.

"Elise."

I shook my head in order for myself to come back to reality. I looked over to see Alexander eyeing me, but not facing me.

"Done daydreaming?"

"I...I wasn't. I, I mean, what is it you asked me?"

"These guests are not exactly welcoming, are you prepared for that?" He asked me waiting for an answer.

This time he was looking me dead in the eye. My response is one that changes the way somebody views you. If I say yes, will that show I'm brave even when I'm view of an enemy? Or if I say no, will he view me weak?

"That depends on who it is," I noted calmly as he smirked at my answer.

"An answer only a woman would say. You overthink things. Whether it be an enemy or it be a friend, you always face it head on. To determine your actions by a factor such as who will get you killed,"

"So who are these guests?" I asked watching the servants but letting his answer sink in.

"Your parents,"

I froze and thought about every bad thing they did to me. The beatings, cuts, bruises, and so much more. All because I was girl, I was not a first born male to inherit the throne.

"They are not going to lay a hand on you, I won't allow that to happen," Alexander said as if he could see the things I was remembering.

"Why? Why are they coming?" I asked wanting to know whatever reason they had because I knew it wasn't to see me.

"They never specified, only noted that your parents and brother are to arrive," he said in a bored tone.

"I can guarantee that it is some diplomatic matter, nothing more." I want to believe that but my parents were very lazy with their job.

Ever since I was little my parents barely left the castle. I was not allowed to leave, yet longed for the outside world through my barred windows. My parents, though, they never left the castle even when it came to important matters.

They were lazy and believed were above everybody, which is why the kingdom is a joke. Desperate, filthy, and crime were the description of the horrid place that I always thought was beautiful. I guess everything seems better through words.

"Elise, you do have power over them. Their entire existence relies on the power of this kingdom. After everything they have done, a little pain is deserved,"

"Nobody deserves pain,"

He laughed at my response, a soft chuckle as if what I said was ridiculous.

"You lives in your own head your entire life. Believing in only the good, because that is what you have convinced yourself. Everybody deserves pain at some point, there are no such things as an angel in disguise, only demons who possess the soul."

"I won't do that to my family," I said

"They are not your family. Family is someone who loves and cherishes you, that is not them. Only I"