• Mᴏɴsᴛᴇʀ •

|Mᴏɴsᴛᴇʀ  - Dᴏᴅɪᴇ |
____________________________________

He stood at the desk, watching with fearful eyes as his father flicked his ashes over the papers, putting out the spark as they threatened to set alight. It was honestly a miracle that the building was still standing rather than crumpling to a pile of ash.

His father didn't acknowledge him as he stood impatiently, shifting on his feet awkwardly as he stood in his father's line of sight. Well, he would be if his eyes would drift over to him, which he clearly was refraining from doing.

He clears his throat pathetically, attempting to sound gruff and manly. He obviously failed, the weak sound hitting his ears painfully. His father's eyebrows subtly raised up,mild amusement dancing around on his features.

"Uh, didn't you call me up here?" He hesitantly asked, voice filled with uncertainty and slight frustration. He didn't come all the way up here, dreading each step he took as he came closer, simply to be ignored like he was nothing. He didn't want to be here, but if it was impossible to avoid, he'd at very least want to be seen.

"I did. Today's the day, boy. The day you finally shed that softness you've been hanging onto. There's no room for that here, not when you're aligned to be my hair." He frowned, sighing inwardly as he expected his father to go off on it again, to rant endlessly about how he was destined for this and that, no room for error.

It was almost a tradition in their two person household recently. As every few weeks passed by, the dreaded speech would drift closer and closer as time went on. Gradually becoming longer and more overbearing, as if upgraded in intensity each time.

He simply nodded, making odd sounds from his throat in mild agreement. Head bobbing up and down so much his neck was slowly beginning to ache at the friction from the air.

"So it's today? The...murder?" He tries to keep his voice steady, not eager to let it break or crack in his determined attempt. He was fine, everything was perfectly fine. This was his job, his livelihood . All his life it had been blood, gore, power. This was not different. He could do this.

"No of course not! What, do you think everything is that simple? That I'll already have all the work prepped up, ready for you to snatch? That's not how this works." He threw his arms up into the air, frustration growing evident on his face. He felt himself jump a little, involataily of course. It was becoming a habit, a dangerous one. He couldn't afford to startle at everything that moved so much as an inch.

What type of leader would he grow to be with a flaw so defining? It would give him the wrong first impression.
He sighed, the tone and context of his words sounding eerily familiar. Except this time, they were residing in his head. Not shouting beyond him.

"You need to have a stake out, watch where he goes. When, where and who are the most Important questions and research required to properly execute the job." His father's voice was significantly calmer as he continued, taking a small, exasperated breath before continuing.

But that didn't matter much to him, the sharp, dangerous edge still present in his voice. Like a knife, ready to break out at any moment and cut him.

"I understand. Will I be alone on this job or shall I bring blak-"

"Bring Elias." He felt like stomping his foot like a child, close to it before having to restrain himself.

Elias.

What was his father's adoration for the annoying prick? Everytime he felt Elias' presence near him, his shoulders would subconsciously tense. His mouth displayed a permanent frown, never once lifting. And he just knew, this wasn't some stupid, senseless dislike. It was so much more than that, it was something sinister in the boy. Like he knew something, something he shouldn't.