22.0

Oto thrusts open the Hotel's double doors and springs over the cobblestone steps, spinning as he lands on Purgatory's matte plane

Oto thrusts open the Hotel's double doors and springs over the cobblestone steps, spinning as he lands on Purgatory's matte plane. He heads to the Hearse parked nearby. It is smothered in holes, dents, and duct tape. Cheron follows down the steps, tossing two painkillers into her yawning mouth.

Oto turns his head. "Remind me, Cherry, where are we headed?"

"Dobbon-Yeu," she says, twirling the Hearse's keys. "Not too far from here. Should be an easy drive." Just outside the driver's seat, she unlocks the Hearse, producing the familiar two-click sound.

The engine explodes. The car crumples into a million pieces, caving in on itself, as if the atmosphere could crush it into a diamond.

Cheron looks at Oto, then back to the Hearse, to Oto, then the Hearse again. "What."

Oto smears soot off his face. "I think it's broken."

"Hm."

"I don't think it helps that I drove it last."

"Hmmmmmmmmmmm."

"I had to get you home somehow."

"Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm." Straight-faced, Cheron lowers, assuming the fetal position.

Oto plops her back onto her feet. "No worries, Cherry! I'll call Hal, and he'll have us ready to roll in no time." He holds up a thumb with one hand and grabs his phone with the other. He taps away at his passcode, slowly at first, then a bit more frantic, occasionally glancing at Cheron.

She takes a deep breath. Her face is still. "Oto, for God's sake, or at least for mine, would you please take off your gloves?"

"Hm?" He cocks a brow. "Sure?" Oto removes his gloves. Two skinless, meatless, skeletal hands appear. He taps his screen again. It cracks. "Uh..."

Cheron shrivels like a raisin, nearly doubling over. "I'll just..." She grabs her phone and calls Hal herself.

Hal picks up. "Mm."

"Hal."

"Ma'am."

"I hope you're well."

"I'm not."

"If you're not busy—"

"I am."

"—would please repair the Hearse?"

The cyclops blinks. The weight of his eyelids is audible through the phone. "Sure."

Cheron relaxes her breathing. "Thank you so much in advance, Hal. Please know that we really appreciate you and that you're—" She looks at her phone. Hal hung up. "Lovely. I was going to say. Lovely."

"Aw, Cherry, Hal's always been a card." Oto puts a hand on Cheron's shoulder. "Don't let his attitude bother you. He still—"

"Please put your gloves back on."