13.0

Cavalcafé is a dead planet

Cavalcafé is a dead planet. Its once lush grasslands frost over with ash, and the previously turquoise waters are now gray. Blanketing steam clouds float just above the loose dirt and charred ruins.

No one on Cavalcafé or in its eponymous establishment survived. Soul-cleanup ran late into the night, but most souls acquiesced, too dejected to fight the Scythe. Oto and Cheron took turns between who swung the blade and who loaded the body bag.

Even in spite of the Scythe's infinite capacity, Oto and Cheron prefer to haul souls in bags. It's more humane. Once inside the cold, steel prison, a soul bears but a conscience engulfed in darkness. It feels nothing save for the sensation of falling and, by consequence, fear. There is no way to perceive the passage of time or go to sleep. There is no catharsis. Whereas, in a bag, souls are at least gifted complimentary shrimp.

Now, after cleanup, the Hearse soars through space. The drive back to Purgatory is mostly silent. With a frown tugging his brows, Oto pats excess blood from his nose and steals glances at Cheron, whose mascara has smudged all around her heavy eye. She huffs occasionally, trying to parse the path and sometimes failing, what with the windshield, which is just barely patched from the reaping of Madame Muffinpie. It is held together by duct tape and prayer.

Cheron's unasked and unanswered question lingers in the dead air.

Oto inhales. "Why did you choose Cavalcafé?"

The redhead sinks into her shoulders. "It's nice."

"It's not so nice anymore!" The man's clawed hands quiver and tense. "Did you know who was going to be there?"

"I knew we'd meet a lot of clients, and I knew many would die by immolation, but I didn't know that...What was her name?"

"Juby."

"Right. I didn't know that 'Unnamed Client, unofficially dubbed 'Juby,' of Unnamed Planet #4901-JB' was the leader of your hate club, let alone that she planned a... very violent press conference."

Oto sighs and slumps over the glove box. "I just don't understand. I thought we were going to spend time together and talk, maybe."

Cheron swallows. "We talked. We had a moment, but we had a job to do. What's the issue here?"

"We could have sent maids to handle that to-reap list."

"We can't send them to do everything. The rogues got fed up for a reason."

"We don't send them to do everything, Cheron. We do most of the heavy lifting here." Oto pinches the corners of his eyes. "You said you wanted to ask me something, but clearly you don't."

Cheron stares ahead. The dog-eared portal to Purgatory falls over and swallows the Hearse whole. The vehicle coasts. There is no sound at all, save for a small shard of glass that falls onto the dashboard, beside Oto's hand.