10.0

Molly and Madame Muffinpie meander around the Hotel's lobby

Molly and Madame Muffinpie meander around the Hotel's lobby. While neither can truly be exhausted, the search for Makron— the missing maid— has drained them thoroughly.

They started their search alongside Hal, Juno, and Todd deep inside the colorful but catacomb-like library. On the farthest wall of the library stands a normal, insurmountably tall bookshelf with an inconspicuous, nameless book that awkwardly juts out past the other books. Predictably, pushing the incongruous book opens a secret armory that contains sickles, uniforms, and other accoutrements. Molly surveyed the room and stopped at the array of sickles. They're supposed to have eight extra at all times. There were only four. Molly blinked away the fear brimming in her eyes, then she smiled upon noticing her subordinate's astonishment. The secret armory wasn't so predictable to Madame Muffinpie.

Once they bade farewell to their male coworkers, Molly and Madame Muffinpie rose to the Hotel's first floor. Opposite to the Secretary of Styx office is the staff conference room that leads into Oto's main office, which Molly figured was a good bet since she always spotted Makron in Oto's office.

Makron berated Oto incessantly, typically pushing questions like, "If there's an eternal afterlife, why isn't everyone just immortal?" and "Do you really have to be so good at your job?" (Cheron and the other employees often debate that latter question). Around Oto, Makron acted like a boiling pot, always on the verge of bubbling over, lashing out, and trashing the office.

Despite Molly's suspicions, her and Madame Muffinpie scoured the office to no avail. The only irregularity was Oto's computer. His account had been and would continue to be locked out for several hours. Someone tried to guess the password and failed, which is impressive considering that Oto's password is "12345678".

The maids then searched Oto's suite but left almost immediately. Prior to Cheron settling in, Oto used the space as nothing more than a second office, so employees passed through the suite as they pleased. Recently however, the suite has looked a lot more like a home, so the maids felt as though they were trespassing. Besides, the only irregularity Molly noticed was how messy the suite was. It hurt for her not to clean it, but she insisted they move on with the hunt.

Now, after more unfruitful searching, they trudge across the lobby, toward the double doors, defeated and silent.

Molly cups her hands to her mouth. "I'm so sorry, Madame Muffinpie. I feel as though I've wasted your time. Would you like to rest with a cup of tea?"

"Can I even still digest tea?"

"No, but pretending tends to feel good, just don't think too hard about it or else you might perpetuate the void you're trying to—"

"I decline, but thank you." Madame Muffinpie stops. "Does the Hotel utilize a surveillance system?"

"Yes, but there's no point checking it. No member of the esteemed maid corps, let alone Makron, would ever be caught dead on camera... Haha! Get it?" Molly smiles at her coworker, whose expression plummets. "Sorry." Molly looks away. "Working here for several years has grated on me..." They continue to walk in heavy silence until Molly attempts to lighten it again. "You know, your file is quite impressive for your age."