19.0

☆☆☆

Hi there! This chapter of Thanatology!! has heavy themes of suicide, and it may make readers uncomfortable. Reader discretion is advised.

I'm not sure how necessary this warning is or if I'll even keep it or if I should add more warnings, so please tell me your thoughts on the matter! I hope you enjoy.

☆☆☆

Madame Muffinpie opens her eyes, dazzled by the light of MA's gargantuan, pellucid, and spherical soul

Madame Muffinpie opens her eyes, dazzled by the light of MA's gargantuan, pellucid, and spherical soul. Her soul engulfs the trading port, or rather, what is left of the trading port. After Madame Muffinpie slings her sickle, dissipating MA to nothing but residual vapor, all that remains are ruins. MA's ear-piercing sob finally stops, and with its leave enters a blinding darkness, disrupted only by the lights of growing fires and fractured lampposts. As the smoke subsides, the lights reveal obliterated freights; eugh fulgurites; and many, many, many maimed but not dead people. The cat surveys the horror.

"Oh." She gulps, slipping MA's soul into the body bag but not shifting her gaze. "Huh."

The other Hotel employees rise from the wrecked warehouse. Before anyone can process the event, Molly rushes to Madame Muffinpie, who explains the catastrophe. The two maids call the Hotel and beg for backup. They begin the grueling process of cleanup, which is especially difficult because they phase through not all but a torturous amount of objects and people. They don't phase enough to rationally quit, but they do phase enough to experience tedium-induced trauma.

Steadfast, Juno sprints to the crumpled Hearse. Oto jump kicks through the nonexistent windshield. He lands on the charred ground softly. Cheron's unconscious body sways in his arms.

"Is she okay?" Juno reaches a hand to Cheron.

Oto's eyes fall and stay on her. "She's tired." He sits down on the ground and sets the Scythe somewhere near. He shifts to where he thinks Cheron would be more comfortable. Juno sits beside them.

Hal trudges toward the Hearse. His eye bags sag down to his tusks as he, unblinking, inspects the vehicle then reaches in his back pocket for a roll of duct tape. Repairs are somewhat difficult as well.

Still atop the warehouse's remains, Todd grabs Juby's arm. "SQUAWK?" He neatens her uniform and holds her face. "SQUAWK? SQUAWK?"

"I'm fine!" She swats away, looking around as she does. "I'm not a baby anymore, Todd, I can handle myself, by myself, now." Her eyes drift to Juno. "He didn't once check to see if I'm okay."

"SQUAWK."

"Yes, I know what I just said sounds silly now, but you'd think he'd check at least once."

"SQUAWK..."

"I know I'm already dead!" She crosses her arms. "Some friend you are..."

The two concierges back up, noticing a dark-skinned, somewhat flayed arm reach up from the wreck. The flayed bits reveal scuffed metal and sparking wires. It's Lorel AI. She heaves rubble off herself, dizzy from rebooting. Her cracked eyes snap to Oto.