4.0

The Hearse flies through space, winding around countless asteroids and passing faraway supernovas

The Hearse flies through space, winding around countless asteroids and passing faraway supernovas. In the back seat, a body bag with red accents wriggles as if there are thousands of small animals inside. This Bag contains all the souls Cheron and Oto collected today. Neither of the two reapers ever remember each bag's exact capacity, let alone the names of its occupants. It just so happens that the duo's most recent clients do not fit in the bag, so Juno and Madame Muffinpie sit. They try not to glance at, listen to, or even graze the sides of the bag. Instead, they glue their eyes to the windows, where they watch candy-colored planets and ovaloid ships slip away.

Oto shifts in his seat and picks twigs out of his ponytail. He occasionally shoots a smile at Cheron, who is not having it.

The spindly man clears his throat. "You know, you look really familiar with that patch over your eye. You look kinda cool, actually. Wait. Sorry, that's not to say that disabilities are, uh..."

Oto retreats his gaze and pats the dashboard for a couple of seconds, he then consciously inhales and looks at Cheron again. 

"Are you sure you're okay with driving? I can drive if you're still—"

Cheron keeps her eyes on the void before them. "I'm fine. Also, you can't drive. Well, you can, but you really shouldn't."

"What does it matter to you? It's not like you'll die or anything."

"Yes, but with all the painkiller-induced delirium I've experienced lately, I wish I could."

Oto stops shooting smiles. There are no more twigs in his hair for him to pick. He swallows and stops looking at his partner. "I really am sorry, Cheron. And I—"

"I forgive you. But I really want to punch you."

The corners of Oto's mouth curl again, only slightly. "That doesn't sound like forgiveness at all, but it's fair. So! Where do you want to eat dinner?"

"Are you trying to bribe me?"

A smirk has fully returned. "You're suspiciously smart for someone drowned in painkillers."

Cheron punches Oto's shoulder and smirks back. "Cavalcafé. And you're going to pay."

"I feel like I already have, haha! Ow!" Oto thinks about what he just said. "'Ow?' Huh. Ow."

The Hearse slows where there is absolutely no traffic, no sound, and no light. There is nothing here, save for a small triangular hole. Coming off of the hole is a white, cloth-like fragment resembling a dog-eared page. As the Hearse approaches, the dog-eared fragment falls to reveal a vast, white nothingness. Cheron stops the Hearse then shifts to a gear that is labelled with an oval the same color as Oto's eyes. In less than a blink, the Hearse disappears, and the hole zips back up. Juno and Madame Muffinpie are still screaming when they return to a steady drive.

Cheron winces. "This is why we need to bring more bags."

Oto is still curiously massaging his shoulder. "I kind of like surprising them."