16.0

Three weeks later

Three weeks later. The team has been boosting Oto's public image. Molly and Todd have joined forces in PR planning, creating a quirky cocktail of empathy with an added zest of commercialism.

For example, Hal and Oto have been producing PSAs, but they all come across more as advertisements. Oto often repeats lines like, "If you die now, your room will come with a FREE tea set! Offer ends while supplies last. Ghosts cannot digest tea." Hal doesn't mind, so long as he stays behind the camera.

Hoping to recruit, Hal has also spoken to upstanding and intelligent guests, from door to door, promoting job opportunities. He can't force these guests to work, as that would be a very hellish thing to do, and this is absolutely not Hell, not at all, not even a little bit, get that silly thought out of your head. Geez. So he's doing his best with simple conversation. It is torture for everyone involved.

Meanwhile, Cheron and the maid corps have shouldered most of the heavy-duty reapings and client reports. On deployment, when she finishes her to-reap lists, Madame Muffinpie does favors for the living. She once helped a cat out of a tree, then returned the poor creature to its febrile, geriatric owner. The whole ordeal gave Madame Muffinpie an out-of-body experience.

Juby has slowly but not surely acclimated to the Hotel. She often transforms into guests, so she can escape shifts. Because of this, she is under constant supervision, especially when she has to contact her lackeys in the living realm. The Death to Death Association, better known as the "Double Ds" (still working on that name) have radically shifted their focus from killing Death, to convincing intergalactic politicians and reporters that he isn't so bad. The members are rightfully confused with the change, but they never protest. They're just happy to hear from Juby again, too loyal for their own good.

And Juno is very nearly content doing whatever work is handed to him. At present, he, Todd, and Juby sit at the reception desk, awaiting guests and reviewing their schedules.

Juby collapses in her swivel chair. "When you were crying and begging me to fix Death's garbage PR, I thought we'd be back in the mortal realm, traveling the universe and talking to crowds."

Juno inhales. "I wasn't crying."

"But, no, I've just been making phone calls and standing around. Sometimes, if I'm really behaved, I get to sit."

"Uh-huh..." He whips out his phone and snaps a picture of Todd holding two feathery thumbs up. He posts the photo to Oto's now cloying Hivemind account, with the caption, "#BLESSED".

Juby's ectoplasmic stomach rolls.

Juno closes the phone and turns to her. "There's a press conference tomorrow, Juby. Just be patient and keep yourself busy. The guests need help." Juno lugs a monster of paperwork to the ground. "We need help."

"Of course you do."

"You don't want to stand again, do you? Behave yourself." He notices someone approaching. "Especially now."