11.0

Back in Cavalcafé's restroom, Cheron and Oto use the Scythe as a door lock

Back in Cavalcafé's restroom, Cheron and Oto use the Scythe as a door lock. The heavy shaft is cleanly wedged in the door's handle, but the blade is so large that it obliterates the nearby sink. Good enough.

Cheron and Oto stand at each other's side, both bracing a sink and staring at the mirror. Silence fills the room.

"So!" Oto clasps his hands together. His eyes glow, faint but steady. "What did you want to ask me?"

Cheron huffs her bangs away from her eye. "Now is hardly the time." She turns to her partner. "About what Juby said... Are you okay?"

Oto perks his brows at Cheron as if he wasn't listening. "Hm? Yeah, the universe ending is sort of a bummer. We're going to be awfully busy. Does that mean everyone's going to Purgatory? Eugh, I don't want to think about that." He reaches into his breast pocket for a small tin, opens it, and pops two painkillers.

Cheron frowns and takes two from the tin as well. Without directly saying so, both reapers have decided to drop their previous questions. "We have to reap Juby before she leaves, haunts the mortal realm, and causes any more chaos."

"That might be a little difficult, what with the party outside." Oto gestures to the door. An onslaught of banging and screaming awaits on the other side.

Cheron's eye widens to the door then back to Oto. "I have a plan. But we're going to nee—"

The horde of Earthlings smash down the door, and the Scythe flies into Cheron's grasp. The rioters come in all shapes, sizes, and species, but they all share one similarity: blood-curdling rage aimed directly at Oto. The ghost of the man who killed Juby leads the mob. Beside him, a spider-like alien grips eight makeshift scythes. Cheron thrusts the true Scythe, causing the mob to shuffle back like a single feral creature.

The human ghost's golden eyes meet Oto's glowing ones. "Ooohh... He does have jaundice!" The ghost calls out to Juby, who is still in the dining room, rocking back and forth beside her corpse. "Sorry, boss. Yeah, that was my bad. Whoops..." The ghost trails off and turns back to Oto, who examines his eyes in the mirror.

"Jaundice?" Oto stretches his lids and frowns at his reflection. "I forget. Is jaundice bad? Do I look bad?"

"You're a beautiful baby boy," Cheron says, nudging the Scythe into the crowd as if she were shooing a dog. "Now, if your ego is ready, it would be so totally, absolutely, positively righteous if you were to move your beautiful baby self and help me."

Oto nods. The spider hurls two scythes down at Cheron. She leaps and reaps the human ghost before gliding back to Oto. He catches her and hops, phasing through the wall. They land on the other side in time to watch Juby sprint to and stop at the main exit.

"This is the man of the hour, people!" Juby hollers, gesturing to Oto. Her eyes glint with rage and tears that vaporize as they fall. "If you have any questions, comments, or complaints about your uninhabitable homes or your broken families, he's the one you're looking for. Now if you don't mind me..." She turns toward the rioters' spacecraft. "...I've got a flight to catch."