Chapter 87: Zeing Ashqoj

Start from the beginning

"What the hell am I doing?" Syel'sgaze traveled across the silent sky. Today, it seemed, there would be noanswers. 

Embracing the night's solitude, Lunette wrapped a warm blanket around her cold frame

Embracing the night's solitude, Lunette wrapped a warm blanket around her cold frame. A relieved sigh escaped her lips as the 'cold' status vanished, and her body temperature regulated to normal. Kashi that asshole had thought of everything, even adding specially designed cold-resistant apparel to the lists of items to be crafted and sold by the Meilfour merchants.

The young woman rested against a rock outcropping, dancing flames from the campfire reflected in a solemn gaze. The night was silent save for the crackling of burning wood and the wind's harrowing whistles as it brushed past fissures in the cracked earth. She glanced askance at the feline warriors huddled around the fire, blankets covering their sleeping frames. Ms. Lightwood had advised against it, but Lunette realized she had no choice once Asha explained just how dire Kashi's situation was. She decided to go after Kashi with the Maggots available, with the felines' help for added numbers.

Ms. Lightwood had grumbled about having her vacation cut short, but promised to send a squadron of soldiers their way as soon as possible. What's more, Absalon—who had completed his island duty—would be leading this small army. But Lunette could not wait for the time it would take for these forces to prepare and then make the trip. If Asha's warning was anything to go by, every second was a matter of life and death.

Lunette scrolled through her menu. She breathed another sigh of relief at Kashi's name on her friend list. Good, he was still alive.

"You care for him," a voice cut into her thoughts.

Lunette turned to see Asha resting against the 'right' side of the rock. The Chetah had her eyes fixed on the black void in the sky, rain clouds having sucked all light from once starry skies. As always, she was dressed in a minimalist fashion, sheathed twin blades resting beside her. It made Lunette wonder how she braved the cold with such little clothing. Even her men had resorted to the blankets. "I suppose you could say that," Lunette replied as her eyes returned to the flames. "I do owe him my life."

"Is that all this is to you?" Asha asked in a low contemplative voice. "A life debt to be repaid? It seems to me a little more than that."

There was a slight pause as Lunette pondered the question. A half-smile tugged the corner of her lips as she admitted, "No, I suppose it is more than a life debt." Her gaze traveled beyond the illuminated area to the enveloping darkness beyond. Somewhere out there, Shadow, Syèl, and Diatte were taking their turn at watch. "I..." Another pause as she tried to find the right words to use. "He's given my brother and me more than we could have ever hoped for. We... I find myself wanting to be of help to him whenever possible."

Lunette softly chuckled. "Doesn't make a lot of sense, really, I know." The momentary laugh passed as she tugged the blanket tight around herself. Face, a mask of serenity, she whispered, "To me—us... us. To us, he is an irreplaceable existence."