chapter 2: the idea

"That's a terrible idea"

"C'mon Dani! It's amazing!"

"If that was seriously your only plan to confess to Zach, then forget about it".

"Hey! That was the only foolproof plan I could do. One more detention and I could be suspended!"

"Then just ask him out like a normal person"

"No, it's too basic and not flashy enough. I want it to be memorable"

"You're hopeless" Daniel replied as he sipped his apple juice.

Daniel and Jack were seated at their usual table in the canteen, waiting for Jonah and Corbyn. Jack was frustrated, "why won't it work? I've read it somewhere and it worked for them"

"Maybe it's because you read a tumblr prompt for fictional characters!"

"Trust me, it will work"

"What will work?", a voice asked.

The two boys looked up and watched as Jonah slid into his seat, balancing his lunch tray.

"Jack has this 'epic idea' to charm Zach's pants off and make him go out with him", Daniel explained as he stole some of Jonah's fries.

"And what is this 'epic idea'?", Jonah asked curiously.

"I'm going to crumple a note and throw it at him" Jack replied.

Jonah only gaped at him, "I'm going to be honest with you, it sounds like something an eight grader would do"

"Then maybe add something into your plan to make it more.. interesting", Corbyn suggested.

Jack was startled for a moment at Corbyn's sudden arrival. But then again, he was so distracted and excited by his plan, he didn't even notice Corbyn sliding into a seat next to Daniel.

"Thats a good idea. I could do that", Jack pondered, "thanks Corbs"

Corbyn grinned and turned his attention back to Daniel. The couple had always been very affectionate and not shy to display their little acts of love in front of people.

This time, Daniel had one hand on Corbyn's thigh as he leaned against the boy, eye closed and contentedly sipping his apple juice. 

"Are you hungry baby?", Corbyn asked.

"Not really", Daniel answered, "but can I have some of your watermelon?"

"Sure baby", Corbyn replied as he fed the blond some watermelon, "what's up with you and fruit today?" He teased.

Daniel only kissed Corbyn back in response, which he returned eagerly. Pretty soon, they forgot about the people in the room as they chatted and laughed in their own happy little bubble.

♡♡♡

Meanwhile...

Zach fumbled the lock at his locker before throwing it wide open and stuffing his files and books in it. He was arranging his locker when a hand tapped him on the shoulder, causing him to turn around.

It was Eben, his best friend.

"Hey Zach! What are you doing here? Don't you have lunch right now?", Eben asked.