Chapter 13

Author's Note:

Okay, sorry for such a depressing chapter, but I just had to. xD lol

Kathleen's weak heart plays a big part in this story-- whoops, spoiler alert.

Hope y'all enjoy the chapter.

Writing the next chapter as we speak. Literally.

~~~

Chapter 13

Prince Ivan's POV:

At the last minute, I decided to dance with Kathleen. Even though, only one dance was permitted per Lady.

It was easy to dance with Kathleen. That's why I chose to dance with her again.

The more I spent time with her, the more these unfamiliar feelings began to arouse within me.

Was I beginning to fall in love? No. There was no way. I couldn't be. That feeling was practically nonexistent for me.

Or is it? My inner voice mocked me.

Kathleen brought me out of my thoughts when she said, "Did you run out of dance partners?" Her tone was light and teasing as she stared into my eyes.

I chuckled and replied, "Are you drunk?"

She blinked, a little flustered, "No, why would you say that?"

"Because you wouldn't say something so bold like that."

"What, I can't say something bold just because?"

I shook my head. "No, you can't. You're not that kind of a person."

"Well," She pursed her lips together, not saying anything else after that.

I was about to bring Kathleen out into a spin when she suddenly stopped dancing.

At first, I thought that she just wanted to end the dance early. Then she fainted.

"Kathleen?!" Before she could fall to the dancefloor, I caught her.

Her eyes were still open. So it looked like she hadn't fainted yet.

Yet.

"Kathleen, can you hear me?!" I gently shook her as her eyes were beginning to close.

"Pri--" Was all she muttered out before she went unconscious.

My eyes widened as I laid her on the dancefloor. Immediately, I put my ear on her chest.

Mikhail was already at my side when Kathleen had stopped breathing.

"She's not breathing," I said as I carried Kathleen in my arms again.

I pushed my way through the guests and into the Ballroom's waiting room.

As I laid Kathleen down on the couch, Mikhail informed me that he was going to get the Royal Doctor.

He left before I could respond.

I put my ear against Kathleen's chest again. She still wasn't breathing.

At this rate she might--

"Don't think like that," I chided myself as I began to undress Kathleen.

I loosened her corset before I began CPR.

"Come on," I tilted her head back and blew air into her mouth and listened to her chest every few seconds.

"Breathe, Kathleen!"

Right as Mikhail and the Royal Doctor came back, Kathleen's eyes fluttered opened and she gasped in air.

I sighed in relief as the Royal Doctor took over from there.