Chapter 6

The next day, I stayed in my room practically bored to death. Usually, when I was home on a day off I would practice on my baking.

Could I do the same thing here? I thought as I stared out the window. The snow had picked up since yesterday.

"Well, there's only one way to find out." I muttered to myself as I walked out of my room.

I decided to ask Prince Ivan if I could use the Kitchens. Why I didn't I go to Mikhail first? Maybe, it's because I had this itching feeling that he would say no.

Surprisingly, I found Prince Ivan's office on the first try.

My memory served me right, I thought and timidly knocked on the door.

Faintly, I heard Prince Ivan call out a "Come in".

With a shaky hand, I opened the door and popped my head inside. He was alone, but he had a lot of paperwork on his desk.

Guilt spread through my chest.

He looked up and smirked. "Didn't I say that you could come in?"

"Yeah, well, you're busy so maybe I should come back later?"

Prince Ivan sighed. "Just come in already," He said in a dismissive tone.

"Oh, okay." I entered the room and gently closed the door behind me.

I sat down on the same couch, but in a different spot, a spot closer to Prince Ivan's desk.

For awhile, I just stared at him as he looked over document after document. To be honest, I took that time to recollect my thoughts.

When I did, I softly spoke out, "Uh, I was wondering..." I trailed off. What if he says no? I thought as I pursed my lips into a tight line.

"You were wondering..." Prince Ivan prompted, looking up from a document in his hand.

Just say it, I thought as I stared into his blue eyes. Just say it-- rip it off like a bandaid.

"I was wondering if I could use the kitchens for baking." I finished quickly, my heart pounding in my chest.

Prince Ivan didn't say anything. All he did was continue looking down at the document in his hand, obviously contemplating whether or not I could use the kitchens.

"Sure," He finally said after almost eternity. "You can use the kitchens for baking. Just as long as this is a hobby."

"A-A hobby?" I questioned, a little appalled.

"Yes," He looked up from another document and his eyes were hard, distant even. "What you did before you came here, it's nothing but a hobby now. Your main priority is to be my potential bride and nothing more."

My heart tightened at his words.

"But what if I don't become your bride in the end?" I stood up from the couch. "What if I'm not the person right for you? I just can't stop what I'm used to doing-- as a job-- just because I'm here as your potential bride. Baking, being a Pastry Chef, might look like a hobby to you, but it's not to me."

Anger boiled in my veins after I said that. How could he think that baking was just some kind of hobby? For most, like me, was a career.

Prince Ivan looked calm, but he stared at me with angry eyes.

"Here, in Sanct Sybil, it's a hobby-- for women at least. Now, if you still want to bake in the kitchens. I suggest you drop this matter."

"Fine," I balled my hands up into tight fists.

Just for my sake, I turned around and walked to the door. Out of politeness, I muttered a "Thank you". I didn't wait for his response before I left after that.

What did he mean when he said that baking here was just a hobby for women? I thought as I aimlessly wandered around Sybil Fortress, trying to find the kitchens.

I stopped walking for a moment.

"Don't tell me that women don't work here in Sanct Sybil." I said out loud, a little horrified at that thought.

No, that would be crazy, I thought in denial. It just can't be true!

As much as I wanted to believe that, I did notice that only men or boys worked in Sybil Fortress. Not once, while I was wandering around each and every hallway to find the kitchens, did I see a woman working as a maid.

I frowned in frustration as I gave up on finding the kitchens on my own, and walked up to a boy who was cleaning the windows. There was a ladder next to him.

"Excuse me, but can you tell me where the kitchens are?"

He pointed down the hallway. "Just walk down there and make a left. You should see an open door on your right leading to the kitchens."

"Thank you." I walked down the hallway and made a left. Just as he said, there was an open door on my right that led straight into the kitchens.

I sighed as I breathed in the aroma from the food. Although, the food here in Sanct Sybil was different than the food back home. It still smelled wonderful.

A Chef noticed me by the door and immediately came to me.

"Lady Kathleen, what is it that you need?"

"Oh," I timidly tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. "I was hoping that I could use part of the kitchens to bake? I already have permission from Prince Ivan himself."

The Chef raised an eyebrow, but nodded. "You like to bake in your free time?"

I smiled politely as he gave me a spare apron.

"Well, not exactly." I said as he began to show me where everything was. "I used to bake for a living as a Pastry Chef back in Nobel Michel. I just thought that I should keep practicing while I'm here."

The Chef smiled politely. "Well, I hope to see what you can create. I'm sure our Pastry Chef here would love to taste test a few of your sweets."

I nodded as I watched him go back to what he was doing before I had entered.

Did he truly mean that? Or was he just being polite for my sake? As he did say that I like to bake in my free time.

I shook my head and began to get ingredients for macarons. When I usually make macarons, they take most of my attention, which I needed at the moment.

By the time I was almost finished making them, I felt at peace with myself again. I felt calm.

Just what I needed, I thought when I was finished.

The macarons looked scrumptious, but just to be sure. I tasted one.

I moaned. Yup, they were perfect. I made a second batch before I decided to refrigerate them until tomorrow.

After that day, I found myself in the kitchens, baking my heart away.

Author's Note:

Okay, so here's a chapter of Ivan being just a little harsh, tougher? I decided to include the fact that women in Sanct Sybil aren't allowed to work.

So, let's see if Kathleen's suspicions are true? Hopefully in the next, or future, chapter!

Until next time, my lovelies!