Chapter 5

After I was finished getting ready for the day, I frantically searched around the huge room to find a hiding spot for Mr. Teddy.

The hiding spot that I had chosen for him was in my carry-on bag that was at the bottom of the armoire.

Just as I was zipping and closing the armoire, Mikhail swiftly knocked on the door before entering.

I felt like I was at camp, trying to hide my stuffed animal from the other kids. Always in fear someone would find out that I still slept with a teddy bear.

"Are you ready, Kathleen?"

"Uh, yeah." Quickly, I walked toward him and we both left the bedroom to go to Prince Ivan's office.

I peered to the side a little, examining Mikhail. He's not much of a talker, that's for sure. Or is that a job of a butler? To not talk a lot. Either way, he was eerily quiet.

We turned into an unfamiliar hallway, but I mean all of the hallways were still quite unfamiliar to me at that moment.

In a matter of seconds, Mikhail stopped and stood in front of a door.

He knocked twice, waited, and then opened the door.

Mikhail gestured for me to go inside with his hand.

"Thanks," I muttered out of habit before entering the office.

Prince Ivan was seated at his desk. There was a window behind him and it looked like it was lightly snowing.

I bit down on my lower lip to keep myself from smiling.

When Prince Ivan looked up from a folder I realized I was still standing in front of the door.

"Kathleen," He gestured for me to sit at a couch in the middle of the room, before his desk. "It's nice to see you again."

"Y-Yeah," I made my way to a couch and sat down. "It's nice to see you again too, Prince Ivan...I think."

He chuckled as he sat down on the other couch, opposite of me.

"You seem...to be a little tense." He commented as he called Mikhail to bring tea and some snacks.

"I am?" I gave him a questioning look.

Prince Ivan looked at my shoulders. That's when I realized that they were raised.

No doubt about it, I was tense.

"Sorry," I felt my cheeks slightly burn.

"There's no need to apologize." He said gently, studying my face.

I did the same. I felt like if I didn't keep my eyes on him, it would be rude somehow.

Okay, so this is getting just a tad bit awkward.

We waited for Mikhail in silence. Heck, even after Mikhail had served us tea and left a few snacks for us, it was still awkward.

A question popped into my head. It should have popped into my head yesterday. Well, maybe it had and I had just brushed it off.

Why am I here? That was the question that had popped into my head as I drank some tea in the awkward silence, Prince Ivan did the same.

Then another question popped into my head after the first; Why does he want me? I mean, I'm a commoner. Wouldn't be want someone of Noble birth?

"What are you thinking about?" He asked as he took a finger sandwich and ate it.

"Uh..." Should I tell him what I'm thinking? It was hard to say. Would he get mad or feel offended?