Chapter 20

I went through a check up with the Royal Doctor, and when he heard my heart beat-- he immediately became concerned.

"Are you nervous right now?" He asked me in a concerned voice.

Nervously, I shook my head.

"I'm not nervous right now, no."

He wrapped his stethoscope around his neck and studied my face.

"Then why is your heart beating so fast?"

I looked down at my trembling hands.

"My heart isn't beating fast," I whispered in a small voice.

"But--"

"Stop asking so many questions," I cut the Royal Doctor off. "You obviously know why my heart sounds like it's beating fast. Just say it already."

My cheeks burned at my sudden outburst.

"Okay," I heard the Royal Doctor say after a few seconds of silent. "It seems like your heart murmur is acting up. I'm guessing it's been acting up lately?"

My lower lip quivered as I nodded my head. There was no way that I could get myself out of this.

"Heart murmur," Prince Ivan repeated in tone that was both irritated and concerned, all at the same time. "Miss Kathleen has something wrong with her heart?"

"Yes, Your Royal Highness," The Royal Doctor turned to Prince Ivan then. "Miss Kathleen has something wrong with her heart. I don't know if she's had this for a while. It may or may not be harmless. You would have to check with your Royal Doctor-- in Sanct Sybil-- for a much thorough check up."

Prince Ivan nodded.

"What should we do in the meantime?"

The Royal Doctor stood up from his seat in front of me.

"Miss Kathleen should take it easy for the rest of the night that you two are here for," He said as he stood in front of the door then.

Prince Ivan nodded.

He and Zain thanked the Royal Doctor before he finally left.

The atmosphere was tense as I just sat there on the couch in silence.

Prince Ivan murmured to Zain and Mikhail for a moment of privacy with me. I wished that they wouldn't have left, but there was nothing that could be done. Not from my part, at least.

"Why didn't you tell me that you had something wrong with your heart, Kathleen?" Prince Ivan asked in a surprisingly calm tone.

He sat down next to me on the couch.

I didn't know what to say exactly. Should I lie or should I tell the truth?

The truth was probably the best option for me. Considering, all the lies-- the secrets-- had gotten me here; Heart murmur acting up and Prince Ivan worried.

Just tell the truth, Kathleen, I thought to myself as I kept my head bowed. Just tell the truth.

"D-Doctor Alina didn't want me to tell you about my heart murmur," I finally replied in a tiny voice.

Prince Ivan let out an exasperated sigh.

"Of course, she would," He whispered more to himself rather than to me. "Why did she want to keep this kind of information from me?" He added.

"Well-- S-She didn't want to worry you," I could already see tears that were ready to tumble over.

Gently, Prince Ivan took my chin by his hand and made me look at him.