15

Clarke's POV:

Today is already a horrible day and it only seems to be getting worse. Niylah being the annoying boss she is, partnered me with Lincoln today. The only problem is Lincoln hates my guts for breaking up with Lexa and he won't speak to me. I don't even blame him though. I honestly hate my guts too. I only did what I had to do to protect both of us.

The actual breakup was the hardest thing I've ever done. It was about a week ago. We were sitting outside, cuddled together under a blanket watching the stars. That's when I realized something. Something that changes everything for both of us. I knew I had to end things immediately. I told Lexa we had to split up and came up with some stupid lie about how I wasn't ready for a relationship. We both knew that was bullshit but I couldn't tell her the truth, so I just left and didn't look back. She called me and texted me almost everyday for a week but just recently stopped. I hope it's because she's over me and can move on to someone so much better.

Now I'm sitting next to Lincoln who probably thinks I'm a horrible person, and honestly he's probably right. We've been on our shift together for about an hour and he hasn't said one word to me. That is until now.

"Clarke I just have on question." Lincoln asked suddenly.

"What is it?"

"What went wrong? You know, with you and Lexa."

I paused for a second to look out at the ocean. What did go wrong? I turned to look at Lincoln again knowing my answer. "Nothing."

"Then why'd you break up with Lexa?"

"I will tell you Lincoln but you can't tell Lexa ok?"

"Yeah ok." Lincoln agreed. "Why did you end things with Lexa?"

"Because I'm in love with her."

I watched as Lincoln's eyes widened and he quickly jumped up from his seat. "You're in love with her?!"

"Yes. More then I could have ever imagined loving anyone."

"Clarke! What the fuck is wrong with you?!" Lincoln yelled, clearly not understanding my logic.

"I did what I did to protect her because I love her!"

"How could you possibly think that breaking up with Lexa would be the way to protect her when you are in love with her?!"

"Because! It just is!"

"Clarke! What the hell?!"

I took a deep breath in to clam down a little. I don't want to be yelling at Lincoln. He doesn't deserve that. "Lincoln I'm sorry. I wish I could explain better but I can't. In the next few hours, Lexa will become the owner and CEO of Trikru and you'll never have to come back to the beach and see me again. I'm just a failure and a screwup and have no place in your lives."

"Clarke don't say that."

"No Lincoln it's true. Please don't tell Lexa anything we spoke of. I need her to move on from me and find someone better. I hope one day she'll understand why I did what I did but I'm not going to change my mind. I love her so much Lincoln. I won't screw this up for her."

"I don't understand Clarke."

"And I don't expect you to Lincoln. It's something I can barely even make sense of in my own head."

"You know this sounds ridiculous right Clarke?"

"I know."

"So to summarize, you broke up with your girlfriend because you are in love with her."

"Yes, Exactly."