8

Lexa
"It hurts so bad Lincoln."

"I know, I'm so sorry Lexa, it's my job to protect you and I fucked up."

"There's no way you could have protected me from this." I sighed, giving Lincoln a sad smile.

"Well I could have warned you there were reports of sharks this morning before work started."

"Reports of sharks? What does that have to do with anything?" I asked, now very confused.

"I thought we were talking about the shark attack. You said it hurts so bad. Is that not what we are talking about? Do you have another injury?" Lincoln asked worriedly, taking a step closer to the hospital bed to carefully check me for physical harm.

"What? No Lincoln I was talking about Clarke. That's what hurts so bad. Clarke leaving. I don't even know why I feel this way but it's sucks."

"Wait...this is about Clarke?" Lincoln asked, taking a relaxed breath and backing up. "Lexa you have nothing to worry about with Clarke."

"What are you talking about Lincoln? I don't know if you noticed but she left."

"Yeah I know that right now things might seem bad but you should have seen her half an hour ago in the hall. If I hadn't arrived right when I did she would have burst in here and been kicked out by hospital security. She cares about you a lot Lexa."

"Really?" I asked, feeling a little bit better.

"Lexa I don't know what the hell your relationship with Clarke is, but I know it's important to both of you. If Clarke said something stupid, it's probably because she's scared to lose you. She already almost thought she lost you earlier today Lex, don't let that happen again."

"Shit Linc, you're right. I have to tell Clarke the truth about me."

"No Lexa...that not very wise." Lincoln tried to protest.

"Lincoln I know what my father told you but if everything goes well here I can protect you ok? I know he threatened your life, but with what we will get in America, it won't matter. I have to tell Clarke, and you should probably tell Octavia too."

"Lexa, are you sure?"

"Yeah. I can't lose her Lincoln. She thinks we are going back to Australia at the end of the summer. She needs to know the truth."

"How are we going to do this?" Lincoln asked, scratching his head.

"Tomorrow call Octavia and tell her to bring Clarke with her and that there is something you have to tell them. Tell them to meet us at our place. I'll be waiting and when they both get there we will tell them the truth."

"Ok." Lincoln nodded. "Oh, and Lexa?"

"Yeah Lincoln?"

"They aren't going to be happy when we tell them."

"I know."

It was true. Clarke would most likely hate me even more. She is also going to have a lot of questions though, hopefully enough that she doesn't just walk out the door again. I don't know if I can handle that again. No matter how much I try I can't get her out of my head. I see her leaning over me as I'm lying in the sand, asking her to stay with me after the bite. I should have asked her to stay with me forever. Now it might be too late.

I was eventually discharged from the hospital, and Lincoln brought me home and helped me into bed. I fell asleep quickly because of how physically and emotionally exhausted I had been. When I woke up in the morning again, Lincoln was gone, probably at work because it was only Tuesday and I was left alone in the house. I watched all of the Hunger games movies because I was kind of bored but when I was done I heard a knock on the door. I hopped over to the door and pulled it open to see Clarke standing there, looking incredibly nervous.

"Clarke? Where's Lincoln and Octavia?"

"What? I don't know. I think they are both at work? That's kind of a random question."

Wait a second. If Clarke didn't come here because Lincoln and Octavia told her to then that must mean-

"Lexa can I come in? I think we need to talk."

I swallowed hard, but moved so Clarke could walk in and shut the door behind her. We then went over to the living room couch and both took a seat.

"Lexa...I'm sorry." Clarke started, an I saw her eyes start to tear up. "I was scared, and I still am scared and it's no excuse for leaving you when you needed me in the hospital and I need you to know how awful I felt, and still feel about it. I couldn't even make it through a day of work, I had to come see you. I don't know why I care so much about you but I do and I don't know what I'm going to do when you leave this summer but I can't think about that right now because if I have you in my life right now, it's better then not at all."

"Clarke." I said, moving closer to her and wiping a few tears off her face that had fallen while she was speaking.

I felt Clarke lean into my touch and she started to cry more. I pulled her into me, holding her tight in my arms and trying to soothe her by holding her close. "I'm sorry." Clarke said between sobs.

"Hey, it's ok Clarke. It's ok. You haven't lost me Clarke, I'm right here. I know you were trying to push me away, but you must not have pushed hard enough because I'm still here. I'm right here Clarke." I assured her, tightening my grip around her.

"Why?" Clarke asked, pulling away from the hug. "Why are you ok with me leaving you?"

Shit. I should tell her right now. She needs to know the truth.

"Clarke." I said, pulling away from the hug. "It's not your fault, in fact it's mostly my fault too. There's something I haven't told you yet. Something about me and Lincoln."

"What is it Lexa?"

Come on Lexa, you can do this. Just tell her the truth. Tell Clarke the truth. "Clarke....he's not my brother."

"What? What do you mean he's not your brother?"

"Clarke... Lincoln is my husband."

An: Surprise!